thinkin bout buying a trike

well im thinkin bout buying an 86 250r. A guy near me hasone for sale for $1950 including some extra stuff. I have experience riding bikes mostly. Ive riddin my brothers ltr450 quad and numerous bikes and my parents friends 200 3-wheelers how comparable is the power to say a 250 2t bike? Im mostly lookig for something to have fun in the dunes with.

This is the craigslist add http://modesto.craigslist.org/mcy/1674568768.html

think its a good deal?

• 5 months later...

$1950 is too much even for a good condition liquid R. A mint condition would only fetch about $1600 with a couple sets of tires.

As far as riding goes- if you've never ridden a trike, then DO NOT BUY IT!!!! The Honda ATC250R is a BEAST, and WILL kick your ass if you slip up even a little bit!!!

They are fun trikes, don't get me wrong, but do start out on something less powerful to get used to it. A 1984 200X would be a great beginners sport trike. They have excellent power and love to slip and slide all around, as well as jump.

I love my 200X, and I throw it all over the place.

The thing with trikes is you REALLY have to get off the side to get them to slip around. It's not like a quad or motorcycle where you lean in a bit, you REALLY have to get off of it, and not even kidding:

SFTLMay6098-1.jpg

corner.jpg

Scan1Huge.jpg

trackpics049.jpg

So you can see that the seat is mainly for looks. If you don't lean in the turns, then you're going to get tossed.

LOL that was a good one :banghead::ride:

(I'm not scare of my wheelers, not even whipping around a street turn at 40)

You don't have to be scared of it, but you darn well better respect it, or you may not see 19.

I had a 84 250r that was a handful to drive. If you weren't up on the bars when you were on the gas, there wasn't enough weight on the front wheel to make it turn. You spent more time stearing with the back tires than you did the front. Very fun trike, but you had to be on your toes to drive it.

You don't have to be scared of it, but you darn well better respect it, or you may not see 19.

I had a 84 250r that was a handful to drive. If you weren't up on the bars when you were on the gas, there wasn't enough weight on the front wheel to make it turn. You spent more time stearing with the back tires than you did the front. Very fun trike, but you had to be on your toes to drive it.

Well, not so much as respect it, but know how to control it to get it to do and go what/where you want it (I guess that could be a form of respect too..).

Like I said, the seat is for looks :ride:

If you weren't up on the bars when you were on the gas, there wasn't enough weight on the front wheel to make it turn. You spent more time stearing with the back tires than you did the front.

A three wheeler is SUPPOSED to be turned with the rear wheels. The people who try to turn them with the front wheel are the ones who get hurt. It's not the machines fault if the rider lacks the proper technique.

three wheelers are fun but not on rough terrain they roll very easily but its not that hard to get used to i have only rode one two times and iv never wrecked its fun to do donuts on and as long as you lean away from the turn they wont roll

Pardon my french, but where the HELL did you hear that load of bull****?? Lemme guess, all of the media who took what wasn't even a problem to begin with, and blew it way out of proportion??

They have NO tendency to roll any moreso than a quad does. I can speak this because I have ridden both plenty of times to know for fact. You need to go back and do your research to find out where it is written in stone that they roll easily. I have NEVER rolled one, and never will.

Leaning AWAY from the turn indicates that you are leaning out, of which case, do that on ANYTHING, and you're going down hard.

Actually, anything with 3 wheels will roll easier than that with 4, so technically he is right.

Also, if you have ever ridden a 3 wheeler on pavement, or a hard pack surface, you will find that the more you lean out, the better it will turn. Obviously speed will dictate how much you can lean out before you roll it. But to say that if you "lean away from the turn they wont roll", isn't completely true.

That being said, a capable rider will be just as safe on 3 wheels as they are on 4.

Edited by Bucket69
fat fingers

sorry i worded it wrong i basicly ment drift kinda like you would do on a quad, and yeah the do roll easy not as easy as i expected but they always try to roll i almost rolled 101 times in the whole two days i was rideing one but i always caught it luckily and i dont know what kind of 3 wheeler you ride but a was riding an 86 or 87 honda big red 250 with bald tires and no brakes and im not exagerating the brakes werent even hooked up

A big red is a tank compared to the sport trikes, like my 200X, which I ride on the street all the time.

I haven't got the fear to whip around a sharp 90* corner at speed. All of my quad friends have to brake before.

I don't know what it is, may be the independent front suspension, but all of the quads I have ridden tip right over onto 2 wheels like it's nothing. My trikes I have to force them over onto 2 wheels.

Honda 400, and 250 quads.

A big red is a tank compared to the sport trikes, like my 200X, which I ride on the street all the time.

I haven't got the fear to whip around a sharp 90* corner at speed. All of my quad friends have to brake before.

I don't know what it is, may be the independent front suspension, but all of the quads I have ridden tip right over onto 2 wheels like it's nothing. My trikes I have to force them over onto 2 wheels.

Honda 400, and 250 quads.

Even though it has 4 wheels, you still need to use the same approach to driving a quad as a trike. Ride the 4 wheeler like you do the trike and you will do better.

IMO...the reason most people have accidents on ATV's is because they think all you have to do is sit there and ride. There is almost as much body movement to get a 4 wheeler to go fast as there is a trike.

There is almost as much body movement to get a 4 wheeler to go fast as there is a trike.

I didn't know moving your body would make it go faster ­čśĆ

When I tip a quad onto 2 wheels, it's intentional, the same thing as tipping a trike onto 2 wheels. Both seem to do it just as easily.

A lot of people also seem to get a false sense of security when riding a quad, thinking it can't tip over because of the way a quad is setup, but the truth is, they find out pretty quickly that isn't so.