Sign in to follow this  

Beta 450RS - no more searching (80% dirt, 20% street)

Just wanted to thank many on Thumper Talk, Cafe Husky, KTM sites, and Beta Talk for answering my questions and leading me to the correct and final bike for my needs and situation. The internet is an amazing tool for us all.

After at least a 1000 hours research over the past year still trying to find that one bike, various demos, then buying / reselling multiple bikes to get to this point, I finally figured out the one bike does exist that can be used for 80% hard dirt, single track, and 20% street, with a lower seat height, great handling, climbs like a mountain goat with a wide ratio transmission, with a reliable motor, and can still go 75mph+, and its qualified for a license plate in California. Answer: Beta 450RS / 525RS

For cross-reference, former owner of: 2009 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2008 Yamaha WR250F, 2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM, custom 1970 Triumph Street Tracker project, modified 2000 Honda XR400, 1995 KX250 Works bike, 1987 Honda CR125, 1977 YZ125, 1975 CR125 Elsinore, 1973 Honda XR75, 1971 Honda SL70. Mostly a trail rider with former MX racing. More recent demos: 2009 Husky TE450, Beta 450 / 525 RR, Beta 450RS.

Needs & Situation:

Today, I just wanted one really good dual sport DIRT bike to get use to and ride occassionally during the best parts of the year. Wanted something to ride hard, maybe a few jumps and birms on old tracks here or there with one group of friends on one weekend at OHV location with single track and hills, and go another weekend with local dual sport groups riding both mild street on California roads, backroads and dirt road systems - and be able to keep up at higher speeds with 6 speed bikes on longer roads between dirt trails. Not an easy thing to find, but I finally found it - thanks to many people along the way.

And finally, a big thanks going out to Cameron/Patrick at Indy Moto in Indiana (Dealer), Mark at RPS Moto in Shingle Springs CA (Dealer), and Tim Pilg at American Beta in CA (Distributor).

Yesterday was the first Real Day out in the dirt on varying terrain at Prarie City OHV in CA / AKA "Hangtown". Once I had a few solid break-in hours time resting for for cool-downs, I then ran some of the old tracks, hills, rocky trails, junk trails, small jumps, big birms, mud bogs, stair-step rock climbs, and flat out open terrain too. Still being a bit easy on the bike since its new, even being easy on it I found it to be "enough" for what I needed. Can't wait until its broken in fully.

Conclusion:

Once re-jetted with lower gear sprockets on front and rear, and all foot/hand controls were adjusted to my preference, Guts comfort seat, Cyrca Composite hand guards, there was NOTHING else needed or to do.

The bike has actually exceeded my expectations. I've never been able to say this about any bike I've owned in the past. Plenty of usable power, ability to chug up technical trails and hills, tight stuff, whoops, and more. Handles as good or better than my WR250F on trails, more exciting midrange torque and tractable power than my DRZ400 did, and it has a wide ratio 6 speed transmission.

THE SEARCH IS FINALLY OVER - Woohooo! This thing is a BLAST to ride. Its perfect in every way. One quick photo before the first real initation ride. I let a few friends ride it, and they were hooked too. I've received a few PMs and emails since, and felt compelled to write this for anyone else who is wondering about the Beta RS or RR bikes. It fits that "in between" nitche perfectly for those who want an 80% dirt 20% dirt bike. With an extra set of rims and alternate type tires, you could go just about anywhere on this bike. 👍

Last clean photo. At the end of the day it took at least 20 minutes at the car wash to clean the bike, it was totally caked with mud. Awesome 1st day!

IMG_0004.JPG

ive always wanted a dirt bike 80% dirt and 20% road, this too could be my perfect bike.

if you dont mind me asking, did u buy it new, and if so, how much, thanks mate!

(oh, and does it have electric start?)

Yes, bought new. If you are looking for a deal its rare to see a good used RS pop up for sale, so you might just check the American Beta website for dealers in the US or outside of the US contact Beta in Italy directly. Prices can vary only some based on supply and demand - and right now supply is low as many dealers are sold out of 2009s, so you really need to check around. I was looking for a 2008 NOS bike and got lucky and found one in a far away inventory. Good Luck.