powroll or thumper racing

Hi, I am looking for a 440 kit for my xr reading the stuff on the forum but didnt make my mind on which one:excuseme:

i want to buy only from a relible seller a kit and install it my self no stroke mods or casings

do you guys have an opinion which is best? and in what ways?

TIA

I had my XR 250 (270 kit) done at Powroll, they were excellent everything was done top notch, service was great no complaints. I had my EXC 450 (540 kit) done by Thumper Racing, I have nothing but the same to say about them excellent service and great folks to talk to. So IMO neither was better they both provided great service and answered all my questions, I know I may not have narrowed it down but I feel comfortable sending my next one to either one. So I would choose who ever was cheaper for what you needed or take the scientific approach and go with whoever stickers look cooler.👍

Powroll is $315 vs Thumper Racing $486...both include custom sleeve big bore piston etc....the price should be a good enough reason for me to go ahead but if

1. the power curve is more usuable or friendly or compromising low end power

2. reliability is better with TR

i would go for the most enjoyable obtion, save money in the long run and hasle..👍

i have not used poweroll but thumper racing is no good. they did two hundred dollars more work on my cylinder but they never bothered to call and talk with me about it... did extra work, sent out cylinder and then i recieved the bill 2 hundred bucks higher..i talked with travis many times on the phone and when i did my intial order i wrote done all the facts and prices so i would not be blind sided by a bigger bill.. i realize my cylinder needed the extra work but why not call me after all the phone calls back and forth with what i thought was with professionals and tell me it was going to cost more.. tell me the reason why for more work instead of me recieving the bill and calling them and questioning them why the bill is higher..

they advertise wiseco pistons in there kits but sent a generic.. not sure if that matters but i thought when i was buying there kit i was getting name brand stuff not generic... B.S if you ask me

i dont even know if they know what they are working on... my cylinder came back with 440 etching and a date when the work was done on the cylinder but i ordered a 426 kit.. thank god they actually sent me a 426 cylinder and piston instead of a 440 cylinder and 426 piston. if i would do it again i would go with this kit...

http://www.procycle.us/bigbore/bigbore.htm

TRX400EX / XR400R

ProCycle 425cc BIG BORE 88mm KIT With Cam

Complete kit with 11:1 Wiseco piston, rings, clips, pin, HotCams stage 1 performance camshaft and gaskets. No re-sleeving required. You will have to have your cylinder bored to fit the larger piston. trx425kit

$379.95

i realize it is not a 440 but i wanted to give my experience with TR....

wblake, one company is no better then the other. Look around for the basic goodies. If you're worried about the sleeve then get an "LA Sleeve" big bore sleeve, available for $85 shipped. On ebay right now you can get a Cometic MLS top end big bore kit shipped for $40. That's only $125 leaving you a lot of room for a good piston. Wiseco is good but if you want a JE you still won't pay more then $170. We're at $295 with parts that no other shop is going to beat. The companies I mentioned are usually the same companies that make all the custom stuff for engine builders anyway. Cut out the middle man I say!

A take it or leave it tip for you...... JE makes an 88.5mm piston that is a wise choice for a big bore build because it leaves you room for one more bore on the big bore sleeve.

smv, $379 for a piston, cam and gaskets is a bad deal too. $300 should get you everything. Wiseco Piston, HC & Cometic MLS top end gasket kit.

Most 440 sleeves come smaller then a 426. People have done the 440 sleeve with an 88mm piston to get that 426 with a thicker sleeve. Maybe they did that for you smv?

Edited by ATJ_Number_1

$379 for a piston, cam and gaskets is a bad deal too. $300 should get you everything. Wiseco Piston, HC & Cometic MLS top end gasket kit.

Most 440 sleeves come smaller then a 426. People have done the 440 sleeve with an 88mm piston to get that 426 with a thicker sleeve. Maybe they did that for you smv?

not sure if that was the case... but the case size was actually 88mm (426cc). another isssue was (quoted from Redhurricane)"The sleeve is larger than the available area on the surface of the cylinder and the studs for the head don't have room for the alignment dowels" so more machine work than they said.. ***? a call would have fixed this issue. or just do the machine work like you advertise?

not sure if that was my fault or thumper racing.. but either way i was not told by thumper racing of any of these issues... i really feel i was mislead to the max and will never spend another dollar with thumper racing

ps... atj please post where you can find the kit cheaper... alot of research went in to this project.. although you mentioned the kit from a number of sources please include shipping from all sources.. i do not think you can complete a kit cheaper than what has been offered.. i am wrong alot but please prove it

The problem is "kit". Just buy the parts and you'll find it cheaper. $135 for the piston (ATV Unlimited), $124 for the cam (atvandmxparts) and MLS top end gasket kit for $39 (ATVUnlimited). All prices include shipping and you're just under $300. I do a lot of ebay shopping for my builds and you can't beat the prices. If you go with a 426 build I highly recommend the stg 2 hotcam. Bottom will still be good and the extra cc's will appreciate the rest of the cam.

Sounds like they did a big bore sleeve. Maybe they screwed up your bore on the stock sleeve and passed it on to you. No matter what happened never calling you was just shady. Plus side is if you can verify a bb sleeve then you can go 431 or 435 (440 is actually a 435) next rebuild without a new sleeve.

at the moment i may go with Powroll, its $315 for everything, its not much more expensive than ebay...and you have there support fingers x...in case for a rebuilt you get the chose of an oversize 0,020 piston

The 426 has a better reliability factor I've heard. There are complete cylinder/piston kits on ebay that beat Powroll and Thumper Racing prices. Athena and others make bolt on kits with no machine work required. New cylinder, piston kit and gaskets, just bolt it on and save your stock parts till you're confident the new stuff is good then sell it to recover some of your money.

sorry just realized what your saying,

having thought about it, i would not go for a 4mm bore and hone instead i prefer getting a sleeve thicker that would accommodate the big bore piston

The problem is "kit". Just buy the parts and you'll find it cheaper. $135 for the piston (ATV Unlimited), $124 for the cam (atvandmxparts) and MLS top end gasket kit for $39 (ATVUnlimited). All prices include shipping and you're just under $300. I do a lot of ebay shopping for my builds and you can't beat the prices. If you go with a 426 build I highly recommend the stg 2 hotcam. Bottom will still be good and the extra cc's will appreciate the rest of the cam.

Sounds like they did a big bore sleeve. Maybe they screwed up your bore on the stock sleeve and passed it on to you. No matter what happened never calling you was just shady. Plus side is if you can verify a bb sleeve then you can go 431 or 435 (440 is actually a 435) next rebuild without a new sleeve.

SMV's charges with TR also included a re-sleeve and hone. Yes, he paid a little more than what it could have been buying one piece here and there, but his original intent was to hit a "one stop shop" and get it all together (parts and labor). I never got to see the original sleeve to see if it was salvageable.

The machining was not completed on his re-sleeve, see pics here:

Post #37

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876724&page=4