Sign in to follow this  

KLX400 Clutch Switch Defeat Easier Than DRZ

The DRZ design requires pulling the clutch in to start in neutral, instead of only when in gear. That's over reaching by safetycrats, and a good reason to remove the pesky clutch switch.

Warning!! Do this mod at your own risk!

Misapplication of pedal (controls) is a big problem with automobiles. Without the clutch switch, you can take off like a rocket if you start the bike in gear, clutch out, then freak out and pin the throttle. It is your responsibility to warn inexperienced riders and those you sell the bike later to.

Audi in the`80s was almost put out of business in the USA over misapplication of pedal. Now watch as Toyota get the major ream job up the rear! They may have a technical issue, but most likely misapplication of pedal will be found later (after a good bleeding) to constitute the majorty percent of the complaints. That story will later show up in the press on page 20 in a tiny article.

Anyway... Defeating clutch switches requires closing the two-wire circuit that runs our to the clutch perch. From a post I saw recently here, the DRZ requires soldering the wire after the connector closed due to single connector. On the 2003 KLX400 you don't have to because there are two round connectors behind the headlight, male and female, and you just plug them together. Simple!

I have also heard the KLX has some differences with the DRZ, wiring details being one of them. Perhaps this was Kawasaki engineer revenge for the DRZ control scheme of requiring pulling the clutch in when in neutral?

100404KLX400SRClutchSwitchDefeat_.jpg

I removed the switch and wire as well.

The KLX is the same bike as the 2003 model year DRZ, no difference except color of plastic, .. nothing, same, made in the same place, same Suzuki labels, same Suzuki vin decal, same parts.. just a different color. 👍

Nothing wrong with the way you bypassed the clutch🤣 it is a time honerd way.. . or you can cut them off and permanently connect them if that suites you.

nothing to do with the klx vs drz.its a year deal.06 and newer drz have the single plug instead of bullet connectors.

nothing to do with the klx vs drz.its a year deal.06 and newer drz have the single plug instead of bullet connectors.

Aha. I'm being educated about this most-recent purchase. So what I read about wiring differences with the Kawasaki is a year thing and not a private label thing.

With the later models going to the single plug, the mod would require the user to alter the machine. I speculate Suzuki purposefully did that to protect themselves from liability in the USA or other places where bad-incident profiteers have firmy taken root in society.

The KLX is the same bike as the 2003 model year DRZ, no difference except color of plastic, .. nothing, same, made in the same place, same Suzuki labels, same Suzuki vin decal, same parts.. just a different color. 👍

Nothing wrong with the way you bypassed the clutch🤣 it is a time honerd way.. . or you can cut them off and permanently connect them if that suites you.

Thanks. I know, been done before, but I hope my photography and Photoshop skills are useful in the record.

Aha. I'm being educated about this most-recent purchase. So what I read about wiring differences with the Kawasaki is a year thing and not a private label thing.

With the later models going to the single plug, the mod would require the user to alter the machine. I speculate Suzuki purposefully did that to protect themselves from liability in the USA or other places where bad-incident profiteers have firmy taken root in society.

exactly.

its still simple to do even on the later bikes but does require more effort.

Thanks for the picture, it helps me being a visual learner. When I first got the DRZ I was going to do this mod right away, then I forgot about it and got used to it. When I went to the dunes I dumped my bike at least four times (only times) And one time I could not get it restarted because I got sand in the clutch switch. The wires came loose and the bike did not know the clutch was pulled in. Have you ever tried to push a bike in the sand? Luckily I was able to wiggle the wires and get er going.

My '06 S has the bullet connectors. The change to the single plug must have come in the middle or end of the 2006 model year production run.