A few 650r stator questions

I have been using the search for a week looking for the best mods to the 650r stator and still have some questions.

I pulled mine out last night and noticed the 6 poles that weren’t wound had epoxy on them. Does that need to come off before I rewind it?

I still can’t decide how I want to rewind the stator. Should I spilt it up, 5 poles wound for AC head light and tail light, 5 poles wound for DC LED turn signals and brake lights, or wind all 10 together and just run DC for everything. I am thinking winding them all together and running a reg/rec and using DC would be the best route. Then I could use a HID headlight. I plan on installing a small battery that will run everything with the engine off.

Nope, just wind over it, then coat in epoxy. If you want to you can remove it but I would imagine it would be a huge pita for very little gain.

Split it up. If you run all 10 poles for AC your regulator would have to remove a lot of extra power to keep the output at 14V.

You could do DC, but you then have the same issue with the DC regulator having to remove a lot of power.

I did 10 windings first, then realized it wasn't a great way to do it and seperated them into AC and DC. This allows to to run either type of component and have 100W on each.

If you do 10 windings to DC, I would use a larger guage wire so you won't be outputing such a high voltage that your regulator will then just dump in the form of heat.

There are many options. Do some searching and you will see what others have done. There is also a lot of good info over at the Yahoo 650R group.

I see a few options. First is to leave the existing winding and wind the 6 poles with 18 ga wire. Then next is to strip off the existing 4 poles and then wind all 10 with 16ga wire. For max power make two 5 pole windings with 18ga wire. The commercial windings form Baja Designs and others are the 2 separate windings of 5 poles with 18ga wire.

There are many options. Do some searching and you will see what others have done. There is also a lot of good info over at the Yahoo 650R group.

I see a few options. First is to leave the existing winding and wind the 6 poles with 18 ga wire. Then next is to strip off the existing 4 poles and then wind all 10 with 16ga wire. For max power make two 5 pole windings with 18ga wire. The commercial windings form Baja Designs and others are the 2 separate windings of 5 poles with 18ga wire.

I thought max power would be all 10 wound about 320 to 340 (to raise voltage up over stock 300) turns total with 16 ga wire for more current flow over 18ga. I am leaning more towards making everything DC and using a HID headlight.

I got my 16 awg magnet wire in the mail today. I also stripped the stock wire off the stator and have it ready to rewind. I plan on wiring all 10 poles to about 340 turns total. Then I am going to try to use a 35 amp bridge rectifier to convert to DC. I would like to try to run HID bulbs so thats why I am going with DC. I have the factory regulator off the bike and will be taking it to work with me tomorrow and hooking it up to an AC power supply and to the rectifier to see how it works.

The AC reg and bridge rectifier will work, but the voltage might not be exactly right for a battery. The other problem is the increased power. The stock regulator will not be up for the 150+ watts your new winding will put out. The regulator works by shorting the stator so be sure that will not hurt what you are testing with. I would consider getting a "real" DC regulator. I think they can be had for about $50.

Just in case you have not read it. Wind one pole clockwise and the next counterclockwise. Continue alternating the direction of the winds around the stator.

The AC reg and bridge rectifier will work, but the voltage might not be exactly right for a battery. The other problem is the increased power. The stock regulator will not be up for the 150+ watts your new winding will put out. The regulator works by shorting the stator so be sure that will not hurt what you are testing with. I would consider getting a "real" DC regulator. I think they can be had for about $50.

Just in case you have not read it. Wind one pole clockwise and the next counterclockwise. Continue alternating the direction of the winds around the stator.

I am going to give it a shot and see what happens. I plan on running the headlight and factory running light all the time to take up some power. I may also rig the factory regulator to a bigger heat sync. I have access to a very expensive power supply that will do anything I want it to. Made by Kikisui.

Well I didnt go to work today so I didnt get to try my little experiment, but I am still 👍 over how to wind my stator. Now I am thinking that the more practical thing to do would be to use the 18 AWG wire over all poles 340 turns. Run the trail tech DOT x2 with HID lights and the trail tech reg/rec and be done with it. I think the 16 AWG would be pushing it.

Since all my blinkers and brake light will be LED they will not draw much. With HID lights they will not pull much either. I should be good to charge a Batt. too. What do you think?

Well I ordered the trail tech reg/rec and the X2 DOT light. I will wind the stator with the 18 awg wire on all 10 poles and convert to DC. I am also going to run the bat. I couldnt see paying 50 for the trail tech one so I am going to make my own. I can buy some recahargable AA and solder them together.

Wound my stator today. About 32-34 turns per pole on all 10 poles 16 awg. I stuck it on the bike for a test and boy are those lights burning bright. This was just a test with the factory regulator, headlight, and tail light. I do not have my dual sport kit yet. I know my DMM would not read right coming off the regulator but I checked it anyway and it showed 11 vac at idle. So, I put the rectifier on that I got from work, it showed about 16 volts DC at idle. So it looks like I should not have any problems with low voltage at idle when i get the Trail Tech box.