Sign in to follow this  

Batteries Plus commercial

Saw this commercial and was wondering, how is something like this good for the "non riding" general public?

First off I personally don't see anything wrong other than the light it puts on motorcycle riders and their actions. I like to do wheelies.......their fun but, then I do them off road. The rider is wearing safety equipment.

Does a commercial like this cause damage to the image of "ALL" motorcyclists? In this day and age when we are losing more and more riding areas, restrictions are getting tighter it seems something like this is only fuel for the fire against motorcyclist.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc9rox_wheelie-for-xtreme-motorcycle-batte_auto

Just wondering what others think......that's all.

I'm coming strictly from the sport bike perspective and I'm sure other enthusiasts will concur. I ride a sharp looking and fast sport bike on the streets. I'm automatically targeted as a hooligan, poser, squid, etc. What most people do not know about a small group of us sport bike enthusiasts is, we push the limit of the bike on the track and not on the street. They see these other sport bike riders with no gear, cutting in & out of traffic, doing wheelies, doing excess of 130 mph, etc. There are a lot more haters than lovers in the bike world, so it seems. Any sort of negative witness (like a wheelie in the commercial) automatically puts us in a category. I'm not saying wheelies are bad by any means! Do them off-road or in a controlled environment. I am tired of bikers (whether it be sport bikes, dirt bikes, Dual-Sport, Cruiser *metric or standard*) being automatically categorized/stereotyped. That is why I rarely ride my sport bike anymore...and the increased possibility of being killed by a careless driver. I have run out of fingers and toes to count how many times a careless (cell phone using) driver has nearly hit me. I have been run off the road before and I am tired of the danger (I know MX is dangerous, but the road is another monster of its own). I think the image the commercial is portraying could be positive and negative. We know it is in a controlled environment, but then you have those that see that and see those in the public doing the same actions. *RANT OVER* hahahaha.

IMHO i dont think a non rider would even pay close enough attention to that commercial to form an opinion based on it. I see birth control and tampon commercials every day but because no part of the ad pertains to me nor do i have any interest on the topic i tend not to pay close attention to it. Now an ad like the batteries plus with a motorcycle in it, ill pay attention to because it peaks my interest. Much like any ad with half naked girls in it.👍

Trust me, it does instill a negative feeling towards bikers. Being 100% honest, when I see a street bike riding conservatively, not wheelying, and not revving the p!ss out of the bike, I get taken back by shock.. As if I am expecting it to happen.

I think he looks like he's having fun,and thats what the commercial is promoting,summer fun on your toys. I don't think non motorcycle types are going to look at it and say,that looks dangerous,but more that it looks like fun and that they wish they could do that.👍🤣

Trust me, it does instill a negative feeling towards bikers. Being 100% honest, when I see a street bike riding conservatively, not wheelying, and not revving the p!ss out of the bike, I get taken back by shock.. As if I am expecting it to happen.

My point exactly. Even though I'm a rider I still expect some of these posers/squids to do something stupid in front of me. 👍