Teaching a kid to ride???

I didn't see a youth section so I'm posting this here.

Anyone have some tips on teaching a kid to ride? I was working with my son yesterday trying to get him use to the clutch and breaks. I first blocked the bike up and had him work the throttle, clutch and break. When I said, "stop!" he was to pull in the clutch and hit the breaks. He did great every time. Next we moved on to straight-aways. He would ride straight to me and then stop. I guess once he actually got on the bike and started moving things change.

He dumped it twice. Forgot everything that we had gone over. ?

Just a little frustrating, I don't remember ( I'm sure there were) any of these problems when I learned.

Just move at his pace, he'll get it when he's ready. Just got my nephew on a bike and he picked it up right away but his brother had no such luck. He doesnt have the coordination yet to operate the bike safely on his own so I use the walk/jog along method with him and yes its frustrating but I think it is effective and he get a little better everytime he gets on it.

taught people how to ride dirtbikes, an sportbikes here

the best thing to do is let them get a feel of how important the clutch is. it makes u go, makes u roll, makes u stall...its the single most important thing to get control of when riding.

i ususally start someone out on the bike, idling, have them throw it into first, let the clutch out only half way, then hold it in and roll to a stop.

i have them do this the length of a field or lot. i then have them ease out the clutch a little more each time, and then hold in and roll to a stop.

it helps a lot.

The way I do it is #1 they have to be able to ride a bicycle w/o training wheels. He's 12, so I assume that's covered.

With little bikes and little kids, I'd take the pegs off and let them push the bike around with their feet for awhile, perhaps an hour. But, he's 12, so...

Put him on the bike on a deserted paved street, engine off and push him around for a bit to get the feel of how the bike balances, to keep the bars straight and such. This sucks for the person doing the pushing, but it works. Get them to feel when the bike is stopping and to put his feet down. From there work on turns.

Once they've got this pretty well figured it, then it's time to start the bike. Get them in the habit of putting the bike in neutral, clutch in to start. You can do this once, because next, have them give it a tiny bit of gas or preferably on a slight down grade, no gas and slowly release the clutch. They will stall it.

Start the bike again, in neutral, clutch in and try again. Continue until the clutch is out and not stalled. Then, pull the clutch in and stop.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Do this until they can start/stop consistently.

From this point, work on starting from a stop with some gas and stop. Repeat.

Now, work on turns under power.

This is the basics, from here you might want to work on uphill starts if you can, but they'll figure most stuff out from this point forward. You want to move to grass A.S.A.P. cause they're gonna dump it sooner or later, road rash hurts.

I've taught two kids and my girlfriend this way with success and some, but minimal frustration.

Good luck.

It will take time and patience. LOTS of patience. And maybe as much time.

Did I say patience?!? Seriously, that is key because if you want him to be your riding buddy you don't want to get angry and thus discourage him from riding.

Take him on easy trails - he will get the hang of it.

Case in point: Not long ago I was riding with my 17 year old, us both at the bottom of a quasi knarly rock trail that we had to go up.

Me: "OK - do this and that, and blah blah (mother hen stuff)"

Son: OK....(He's prolly thinking - Yeah whatever Pops...)

He frickin cleans it like a pro.

My point - Let him go at his own pace and he'll come around..

Yes, no matter what, do not push him. I mean, at first push the bike like I suggested, but do not go overboard with instructions or with encouragement, if he wants to call it quits for the day, let him. He'll come back around when he's ready.

when my son turned 11 I bought him a 2008 yz85. Mind you in my day the 80cc dirtbikes (circa 70's and 80's) where not that fast. I did the initial break-in and thought it would be totally irreponsible to give this motorcycle to him to learn on because it was a rocketship. Wow how these minis have gotten fast. He begged and begged and I finally gave in. Once he got the hang of clutching and braking everything else fell into place. It is amazing how fast they learn. He started on a friends back yard track just putting around because everything at that point was kinda intimidating to him. By the end of his very first session he was really moving and stating to do some jumping. Move forward two years and the little shit is starting to do whips and scrubs and is just about able to keep up with me on my 450.? Have fun