Sign in to follow this  

engine "surging" seems like a power drain

I had just finished a 15miles stretch of between 60-70mph on the freeway. I pulled off to get some gas and filled up with premium as always. Driving back to the freeway is when my engine started to surge/die. It seemed like my Z was "the little engine that could". I pulled into a parkinglot and let her rest for 3 minutes. Then I started her and let her run. No funny noises or leaks. So I ride home uneventful. Upon inspection, I found a wire snapped off from my heated grips. I was running my grips half the time and did notice they weren't scorching hot like they usually are. Could that wire have been the issue? Bike has Edge tail/blinkers and heated grips. Otherwise stock.

P.S...I installed a new throttle tube a month ago but have put on 300 miles since then.

Did you put a fuse on the heated grips when you installed them? Where did you splice them into the harness to get power?

No fuse. I'm kind of a rookie when it comes to electrical stuff. I put fish eyes on and connected it straight to the battery. It has an on/off switch.

Sounds like a jetting issue. Mine surges at constant throttle, maybe 60 mph in top gear. Its a little lean, but my MRD pipe just got shipped so I'm gonna hold off on wrestling the carb out just yet.

I have been struggling with this exact problem for about 12 months now:foul: and still havn't found a solution, only surges after it gets warmed up (about 4 mi. in town putting around or about 10 mi. at 60 mph).

been through the carb 5 or 6 times new jets twice

checked the valves twice

adjusted the valves all in spec.

it has a new stator

it has a new cdi

its driving me crazy

So I've got a ride in Yosemite at the end of the month. Should I reject and get a pipe now? I just don't wanna have to jet it for Yosemite and then rejet it when I get back. Also when I was filling up the gas I was leaning the gas tank left and right to fill it up completely.

So I've got a ride in Yosemite at the end of the month. Should I reject and get a pipe now? I just don't wanna have to jet it for Yosemite and then rejet it when I get back. Also when I was filling up the gas I was leaning the gas tank left and right to fill it up completely.

if you haven't removed the (Cali) smog cannister yet......

theres your problem.... you over filled. saturated the cannister, caused a

tank venting issue

Do you have a jet kit it yet?

The JD kit will help with surging.

I don't have a jet kit or aftermarket pipe. I want one though and am not opposed to getting them. YES I do have the cannister still. Could it be that I over filled the tank and made it worse by tipping it side to side? It wouldn't have anything to do with a frayed electrical wire?

I don't have a jet kit or aftermarket pipe. I want one though and am not opposed to getting them. YES I do have the cannister still. Could it be that I over filled the tank and made it worse by tipping it side to side? It wouldn't have anything to do with a frayed electrical wire?

Remove the canister before it gets you stranded. When you over fill the tank or lay the bike down fuel gets in the canister and cause the bike to either completely vapor lock or just run like crap. Everyone needs to get rid of it.

Will it mess with the legality of my bike? Is there a thread for this?

Will it mess with the legality of my bike? Is there a thread for this?

As of now, no. But after you remove it keep it just in case. Until we kick the evil bitches out of office in this state you'll never know.

There are several threads. Just search charcoal canister removal. It's really easy to do.