Sign in to follow this  

Smoker Or Thumper for 14 y/o son

My 14-year-old son currently has a 2003 CRF150F. This is is first bike, but has been riding on & off with friend for the last couple years. He controls the bike very well, and has a good eye for picking a line through the trails or through the berms on the track.

When we bought it last year, he thought that he preferred riding in the trails, thus a trail bike. But he has gotten a taste of some tracks here in North & South Carolina and wants to try his hand at amature MX racing.

He really enjoys getting some air over the jumps, but finds that he is bottoming out the suspension on the 150F. Now he thinks that a 125 2-stroke MX bike is what he needs.

So, my question is more around the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke argument. I think a MX bike would meet his needs (mostly for the beefier suspension). But I can't decide what would be better for him.

What's more economical? Beef up the suspension on his CRF150F? Move to to the CRF150R? He thinks the 150R is too small (ie. short) compared to a YZ125, for example.

What do you guys think?

If you get the 125 then your going to miss out on the power of a 250f when he is ready for that. I also would considerthe fact that the 150rb can be adjusted height wise and it's power is exelent. Thumpers are the next thingbin dirt bikes sodomy get caught in the past. Btw I'm 15 and live in tabor city north carolina. I ride a crf 150 aswell

If he wants to start racing the 2 stroke will be a good match for him. Once he learns to go fast on that thing he'll be fast on anything! The 125 is the best bike "in my opinion" to learn to ride mx on. The amount of skill and clutch control needed to get around the track fast on a 125 is high but very much so worth it. Ive ridden just about every bike avail on the U.S. market and to this day the 125 is the most fun to ride. The biggest benefit of the 125 over the 250 4stroke is the low maint. costs. rebuild the top end every season and norm tranny oil, wheels, chains, sprockets, and tires along with greasing bearings and checking reeds and your good to go, compared to valve adjustments and all that other crap. Im not gonna go into the debate between 2 vs. 4 strokes but I dont think you can beat the cost, reliability, fun factor and maint. ease of a smoker. Im not being biased seeing as I own and ride a yz450f but thats just my opinion though. Not to mention Im just as fast if not faster on my 125 as 95% of the riders at my local tracks on thier 250fs and quite a few guys that ride 450s.👍

I would go with the yz125. Its less weight. The suspension is great. The power is there and he will learn clutch and throtle control much better.

Thanks guys. I have a CRF250R myself. I let him take it for a spin this weekend. He was hesitant to take it on the track (mostly because he didn't want to dump it) and was just buzzing up & down a service road at Carolina Adventure World. He looks pretty small on it and was very intimidated by its power.

From a 150 to a 250f is a big steep. Nothing worng with the 250F's. We've got one with a 290 kit but I belive as a smaller guy would he would like the 125 but the biggest problem is the other 250f bike will out pull the 125 in the starts because of the torque differance. Now with that said if he can learn to ride the 125 they will pull some of the fastest lap time at most mx tracks. Also, if he's a little small on your CRf I'd look into a CRF 150RB (big wheel) or a KX100. Just about right for the in between rider...

If he is scared of the power of the 250f mayb look at the 150RB (with the big wheels) this should fit him well. I would reccomend this over the 2 stroke because if he ends up racing eventually he will want to get a bigger bike which will most likely b a 4 stroke.

If he could test ride a 125, that would be great. I thought I would love a 125, and I did especially since it was so light and had great top end power. I kept bogging out down low and the powerband was to touchy (Honda CR125) that I would find myself 'leaping' a little out of control when I was riding the mid-range area.

A 4 stroke is easier to ride at the sacrifice of a little extra weight and a little more maintenance.

Buy the best used 125 you can find. They are all good and will teach the 14-yr old valuable lessons about momentum, throttle control, and just good techniques.

If he could test ride a 125, that would be great. I thought I would love a 125, and I did especially since it was so light and had great top end power. I kept bogging out down low and the powerband was to touchy (Honda CR125) that I would find myself 'leaping' a little out of control when I was riding the mid-range area.

A 4 stroke is easier to ride at the sacrifice of a little extra weight and a little more maintenance.

Yeah, that's what I was sort of thinking. He witnessed some guys on smokers a couple weeks ago struggling to get up a hill that he just rolled right up on his CRF.

He likes the size (ie., seat height and suspension) of the 2-strokes. It seems like they are bigger than the equivalent 4-stroke. For example, a 2010 YZ125 is about the same size as my CRF250R. But when you put a CRF150R next to that YZ125, it looks tiny.

He wants to be able to wide whatever he gets for a while, and he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. He's about 5'2", 115 lbs...

Get him a older used 125,cr,yz,rm,kx you can pick one up for less than 1k, let him ride it at the track for the summer keep his 150 for trails. If he likes the 125 you can get a newer one later. If not sell it and buy him a 150R. These used 2 stokes buy and sell with ease since everyone knows you can spend 150 in a topend and you gold.

Buy the best used 125 you can find. They are all good and will teach the 14-yr old valuable lessons about momentum, throttle control, and just good techniques.

agreed put him on a 2 stroke before a 4 stroke a 125 or a 85 big wheel would be perfect depending on his height ride that for a year or two get quick on the 2 stroke and ride a 250f it will make you a better rider then going straight to the 250f