2002 DR650SE - Are rear sprockets interchangeable w/other DR models?

Hello all - first post here.

I am re-gearing my 02 DR650 Supermoto for the upcoming riding season. I originally changed over to a 44t rear sprocket with the stock countershaft sized replacement front sprocket but now I find this combo geared way too short after some of the engine/carb mods done to my bike (which is 100% street ridden).

I am looking to go back to either a 42t stock rear or maybe even a 41t rear. I prefer aluminum but wouldn't rule out a steel replacement.

There is a VERY limited aftermarket selection of rear sprockets for the dr650. I noticed the other DR models seem to have a better selection of rear sprocket choices.

Does anybody know if there is any inter-changeability amongst the DR models for rear sprockets? If there was it would open up a few different options for me to choose from.

Thanks in advance for any help - I tried the SEARCH feature but didn't find an answer to this question.

I don't know if the sprockets are interchangeable or not. I do know that the dr650 has a 525 chain where most bikes have a 520 this is most likely why you are having problems finding sprockets that will fit. The website below has the stuff you need to convert to a 520 chain and a choice of front and rear sprocket sizes

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#drivetrain

if you are looking for a light weight sprocket with high strength a company called (supersprox) make an alluminium centre with steel outer

http://www.supersprox.com/uk/products.php?cat=2000

sorry dont know about interchange applications , but my reckoning is if you fit a 520 to a 650 it will stretch like an elastic band , had that happen on my dr 440 now fitted with a 525

Thanks for the Supersprox recommendation - I will look into it.

I already swapped to a 520 chain and sprocket when I converted the bike over to 100% street. I am currently using a JT steel rear 44T in 520. I really just wanted a higher performance alloy sprocket like the anodized Vortex Cat5 sprockets. I find the 44t JT sprocket is just way too low and makes 1st and 2nd gear less useful than they should be out on the road.

Running a 520 chain is more than adequate on a DR650. I have used 520 chain on my literbikes for years. If you check out the current WSBK Superbikes and MotoGP factory rides you will see that most if not all teams are running 520 O-Ring chain. It is incredibly strong.

yeah thats true but they do it for the weight saving potential and change em every race , dunno maybe i just had a bad chain to begin with

A quality 520 chain will be stronger and last longer than the stock 525.