Sign in to follow this  

California Ride Report - Chappie Shasta - 4/3

Another fantastic day of riding at Chappie! Our group of 5 riders headed out from Copley Mountain staging area under grey skies, a low snow line and even lower temps...

We headed up the 4 to 9 and that's when the fun started - 1 to 2 inches of snotty mud that made climbing interesting and the descents more of a toboggan run! We took our time, everyone stayed upright, and left the bad mud behind when we hit 12 and then across the continuation of 9 (great riding!) to 15 (snow on the upper reaches), which we took to 2.

Down 2, down 17, up 76, out 2 to the lake overlook at the old mine. We thought about continuing on 2 and taking 26 on the way back, but given the northern exposure, snow and one fairly new rider, we took 2 back to 17 and then 3 back to Copley mountain.

Damn fine day of riding!! 50 miles, which is the most that I've done in a single day. Back at the staging area, the sun came out as did the 2 growlers of beer and we spent a good hour re-hashing the day and planning the next.

So, question for those that know Chappie: how's 26?

Sounds like a great day!:thumbsup:

Pics or it never happened! :lol:

I need to get one of those fancy camera holders like you! You have any beta on 26? Let's ride soon...

I need to get one of those fancy camera holders like you! You have any beta on 26? Let's ride soon...

No info on 26, sorry. I am going to Moon Rocks this weekend but let's ride the next or sometime during week if your available. Let me know.:thumbsup:

26 is quad wide if that gives you an idea of the difficulty.

26 is quad wide if that gives you an idea of the difficulty.

Thanks, damone, that's plenty of 411.

might be quad wide, but there are some nasty 145 degrees up hill switch back rock SOBs in there. It was 100% harder before they bladed it. I would rank it along side the goat trail between 15 and 10(the dead end). Good stuff saw some quads heading up it one day with a bunch of kids in tow, they asked how the trail was, i said, no way in hell would I ever want to ride a quad up it. BTW we saw quads on what you call the 9 extension, the one with the new bridge and the creek crossing for what it is worth.

might be quad wide, but there are some nasty 145 degrees up hill switch back rock SOBs in there. It was 100% harder before they bladed it. I would rank it along side the goat trail between 15 and 10(the dead end). Good stuff saw some quads heading up it one day with a bunch of kids in tow, they asked how the trail was, i said, no way in hell would I ever want to ride a quad up it. BTW we saw quads on what you call the 9 extension, the one with the new bridge and the creek crossing for what it is worth.

OK maybe it is the hardest mapped trail, but that hill we walked down that time (was it 4) is more difficult. I still want to try and go up that (without snow).

OK maybe it is the hardest mapped trail, but that hill we walked down that time (was it 4) is more difficult. I still want to try and go up that (without snow).

I've ridden 4 up to 9 and wondered where the bad stuff was. My buddy said there was a nasty uphill with 4-foot ledges, but I have yet to see it. I'd definitely rather encounter that crap going up, rather than down!

"Hardest mapped trail"? I might wait on doing 26 until next season. :lol: There's still a lot of riding that I have yet to do there, especially in the northern part of the park. Unfortunately, the clock is ticking as I'm unwelcome there after 6/30 (red sticker :thumbsup:).

Edited by MandoThumper

Been up 4, there are a few reroutes now.

Don"t sweat the red sticker.

I'll second that Zeke, red sticker is NOT an issue in NorCal.

I'll second that Zeke, red sticker is NOT an issue in NorCal.

True that! I was concerned that my options would be limited with a red sticker bike, but then I rode Stony and Georgetown - there's a LOT in those two areas and all of it is open to red stickers year-round. Next up - Penny Pines!

The downside is that I won't be able to ride Prairie City after the end of April. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Edited by MandoThumper

Hey don't hate on prarie city. There is a lot of good riding there. I haven't found it yet but one day I will. And when that day comes you will be sorry you got a red sticker!

Hey don't hate on prarie city. There is a lot of good riding there. I haven't found it yet but one day I will. And when that day comes you will be sorry you got a red sticker!

:lol::thumbsup::)