Like an FMF Gnarly but with more top end?

I have a Gnarly on my YZ250 which I love for tight, slow speed trails, but I HATE it when speeds increase, and in a place like here there are a lot of wide open trails. I get dropped very easily by riders with the same gearing as me but with different pipes. There is virtually no top end with this pipe.

My bike is wrung out in 5th gear and I'm barely hitting 70kms/hr. That's sad. There are plenty of connecting trails here where you can easily reach those speeds on too.

Is there another good option that has very good bottom end but doesn't sign off so easily? Is that possible? One that's also strong?

Thanks.

The stock pipe has the best overall power curve.

A Rad Valve will help bring back a little of the top-end the Gnarly took away.

Aftermarket pipes are all about compromise. You give up something somewhere to gain something somewhere else. Stock pipes have gotten so good that the only way aftermarket companies can make noticeable power gains in one area is to lose some power in another area. The trick is to put those gains where customers want them, and to put the loses where they won't be much noticed.

I have a Gnarly on my YZ250 which I love for tight, slow speed trails, but I HATE it when speeds increase, and in a place like here there are a lot of wide open trails. I get dropped very easily by riders with the same gearing as me but with different pipes. There is virtually no top end with this pipe.

My bike is wrung out in 5th gear and I'm barely hitting 70kms/hr. That's sad. There are plenty of connecting trails here where you can easily reach those speeds on too.

Is there another good option that has very good bottom end but doesn't sign off so easily? Is that possible? One that's also strong?

Thanks.

If your YZ250 will only run 70 km/hr (43.5 mph), you have more problems than changing pipe styles will cure. That bike should be running close to 70 mph even with a Gnarly.

+2 for a stock pipe.. Most stock pipes are about as good as you could ask for.. And as said in previous post you should be able to get of 60+mph out of your gnarly pipe no problem depending on your gearing:ride:

If your YZ250 will only run 70 km/hr (43.5 mph), you have more problems than changing pipe styles will cure. That bike should be running close to 70 mph even with a Gnarly.
Good catch! ? when I read the original post, I didn't catch the "kilometers" part. I'm so conditioned to mph that that is what I "saw" when I read the post.?

I have to agree with you, if that is all the top-speed the bike has, there are other issues at work besides pipe choice. I think I would be looking at the power valve.

I've gotten 100kms/hr (~65mph) slightly downhill with a 50t rear, but the bike was screaming like you wouldn't believe.

There is nothing wrong with the bike.

Then why do you think a different pipe is going to give you more top speed? ? Since you're already getting the RPMs, change gearing. A different pipe isn't going to do anything for you. What size sprocket do you have on the front to go with the 50 on the back?

I'm not looking for more top speed, its how the bike runs at those higher speeds I don't like. I'm in 5th gear quite early because the majority of the power spread is low-mid and then signs off. I'd rather more of a wider spread so the bike isn't screaming through the latter portion of its rpm range.

Thanks.

I'm not looking for more top speed, its how the bike runs at those higher speeds I don't like. I'm in 5th gear quite early because the majority of the power spread is low-mid and then signs off. I'd rather more of a wider spread so the bike isn't screaming through the latter portion of its rpm range.

Make up your mind:bonk:

I have a 09 KTM 300XC and had a Fatty on the bike ( and always ride in the hotter map mode ) and bought a new Gnarly to replace the fatty with since the fatty had taken a few hits and got dinged up. Well one ride and the Gnarly came off and I sold it to another rider. It killed the top end of my bike, and to me it didn't add anything to the bottom end either.

I put the stocker on the next day and rode it, and it was great. As good as the fatty and lighter as well.

I have a stocker, factory fatty and a gnarly. The gnarly is great in tight stuff, but when you get to 6500-7000 rpm's it's like a governor kicks in or a fuel pump going out on a car. The fatty is a great all around pipe, but I wadded it up and flattened it out on a ride, it's not usable right now. The stock pipe is my favorite, more snap off the bottom than the fatty, and twice the over rev of the gnarly. I've managed not to wad it up yet. I ride all off road with stock or shorty silencer. I just bought a Q stealth from Shrub, and blew a dent out of the gnarly. They are currently mounted on the bike, but I haven't ridden this combo yet. Oh yea, stock gearing, 06 YZ250.

Not sure if this is helping but, I have a gnarly on my Ktm 300 and top speed with 13-52 gearing is like 60-65 mph. I have a brand new Gnarly on my 92 CR 500 with 13-53 gearing and it walks away from the 300. no speedo, but I would say it tops out near 80+ ?