Sign in to follow this  

HELP Bike ran without oil in it!

Ok so my friend has a 2005 kx250f. He went riding this weekend and somehow the drain bolt came loose while riding. He does not know how long the bike was ridden without oil in it but it did not seize or anything. The problem. It is now stuck in first gear. My question... I am going to pull the valve cover off and see if theres any bluing on the cams, if there is I will most likely just tear the whole motor down, BUT if there is no bluing I have to assume it wasnt ridden without oil for long so then what should I do. should I try to just fill it with oil and roll it around and see if the gears free up?

To be honest i would not even fiddle with trying to hope for the best.

Tear it down and inspect everything

I would replace the crank bearings and probably the input and output shaft bearings. At a minimum.

It would only take a matter of a few seconds running dry to destroy those bearings.

Yah thats what I was figuring but wanted someone to talk me out of it. oh well ill see what happens. The bike is beat to piss anyway and could use a complete top and bottom rebuild. I guess theres no time like the present! My friends gunna owe me lots of pizza and beer for this one!

Tear it down and inspect eveything.....to be honest....if major damage is there ...you may have more in fixing it than its worth.........good luck...

Tear it down and inspect eveything.....to be honest....if major damage is there ...you may have more in fixing it than its worth.........good luck...

Yah I know the bikes not worth much but the thing is...funny story so im about to hijack my own thread... My friend bought the bike brand new, financed it threw the dealership who uses a separate financing firm or whatever. Well like 2 months go by and he never got a first bill or payment book or anything so he calls the dealership and they say its got nothing to do with them so call the finance company. well he does that and they have no record of the bike. He called and called for months and eventually they just said well, congrats, you got a free bike because they have no record of it, So he never actually even paid a dime for it and its been over 5 years BUT that being the case, he has no title. Eh maybe ill see if he will sell it to me for a couple hundred bucks and ill fix it up over time with ebay parts and have a cheap spare bike for myself.

Yah I know the bikes not worth much but the thing is...funny story so im about to hijack my own thread... My friend bought the bike brand new, financed it threw the dealership who uses a separate financing firm or whatever. Well like 2 months go by and he never got a first bill or payment book or anything so he calls the dealership and they say its got nothing to do with them so call the finance company. well he does that and they have no record of the bike. He called and called for months and eventually they just said well, congrats, you got a free bike because they have no record of it, So he never actually even paid a dime for it and its been over 5 years BUT that being the case, he has no title. Eh maybe ill see if he will sell it to me for a couple hundred bucks and ill fix it up over time with ebay parts and have a cheap spare bike for myself.

ha cant beat a free bike lol.

Why can´t that happen to me? And I mean the financing part, not the drain plug:bonk::thumbsup: