Sign in to follow this  

I bend handlebars

I have bent handlebars a few times.

At first, I thought I should buy cheap bars if I intend to keep bending them. The problem is that, the ones I am buying mus be made of warm butter.

After going through 4 sets, I am wondering if more expensive ones would not have broken and actually been cheaper.

What I do know: not too horrible of crashes bend the Moose steel bars easily.

Will something like the MSR motion bar kit hold up significantly better, or will I just break a more expensive set. It would be nice to break something on me before breaking/bending my bars.

Steel bars bend very easy, don't waste your time with them. If you want something that will hold up, get Renthal Twin walls, Renthal fatbars, or Pro Taper evo bars.

i second those renthal bars, i have the fatbars on both my yamahas, ill taken quite a few spills on the bars and they havent bent

Cheap steel bars do bend really easily. the twinwalls are stronger, but if you crash a lot and are in the learning stages you may want to stick with the cheap steel bars until you are crashing less often. Twinwalls will still bend in a decent crash and will just be more expensive to replace. That being said, I have the twinwalls and like them. I have bent a few pair, but not nearly as ofted as when I had stock style steel bars.

I guess am asking if anyone has tried those MSR motion bars. I am trying to figure out if they are the best or worst of both worlds. If they break half as often as I bend the steel ones, I could at least break even.

Try a set of sunline osx bars. They can be had for around $50 New on ebay. They are cheaper then the renthals and they are also the same company that owns pro taper I believe.

It would be nice to break something on me before breaking/bending my bars.

Grasshoppa! Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it!:thumbsup:

Protaper EVO's...In a pinch, you can even use them as a wedge to split firewood...

what WOODS-RIDER said... I bought 3 bikes since Aug 09 and have bent all of the steel bars. Not big deal, propane tourch, a vice, piece of pipe and a tape measure and a level. They come back nicely. I have found that I am learning to use less front brake than I use on my FZ1 and I stay up alot more. I too will soon but sum fansy pants bars.

I guess am asking if anyone has tried those MSR motion bars. I am trying to figure out if they are the best or worst of both worlds. If they break half as often as I bend the steel ones, I could at least break even.

Don't bother with them... The TAG bar 7/8" are good for the money

Put it this way, I think i have only ever HEARD of two sets of Pro tapers or Renthal 1 1/8 bars bend. One was on thumpertalk by some random guy that had a ridiculously high speed crash and the other was in the Baja 1000 at a super high speed crash by the Kawi Team.

I have personally seen bikes do like 10 flips end over end and have everything but the bars destroyed. Spend the 60-90 bucks and get some 1 1/8 diameter pro tapers or renthals. You will most likely never have to buy bars again.

I use Pro Taper Contours. I've tweaked one pair I think but it was a 5th gear get-off so I think I can chalk that up to my fault.

If i were to get another set, I'd look at the Pro-Taper EVO's if I REALLY don't want them to bend.

My brother's bike went cart-wheeling this weekend. Subframe bent several inches along with silencer, front brake lever bent real bad, grips torn up, PT EVOs straight as an arrow.

mikecrsubframe.jpg

Thanks, n data on those MSRs, but sounds like PT EVO and I won't have to worry about breaking them.