Sign in to follow this  

New-to-me 07 YZ250 carb ???

I just picked up an 07 YZ250 set up for off-road. I'm just going through things figuring out settings and such. He didn't have the manual and I haven't ordered one yet.

He had the jetting set up kinda weird if you ask me. It had a 162 main with an 82 pilot with the stock N3EW needle set at 2nd from top and the air screw at 1 turn out.

Most of my riding will be starting at 3000ft up to 8000 ft in the summer. What would be a good starting point for jetting? I'm thinking 172m, 45 or 48p, clip at 2nd or 3rd from top, and adjust the screw accordingly.

Anyone know the float level specs?

Also, how in the hell do you remove a pilot jet with no screwdriver slot? All the one's I've seen are slotted.

that isnt really an odd jetting set up. i have a 162 main in my KTM with 1 turn out on the air screw. I am however running a richer JD jetting needle with the clip second from bottom slot. I dont remember on hand wat the pilot jet size is but it is the stock one.

dont change anything if it runs good. unscrew the spark plug and see wat it looks like before u change shit. If it doesnt run awesome try just moving the needle and turning the airscrew 1/2 to 1 turn

I was searching through the jetting data base and didn't see anyone running any combo close to that.

I hate jetting, and want to start as close to correct as possible.

How to you remove that damn pilot jet?

I'm running 48pj 175main and stock needle. I'm no where near at your altitude though. Are you sure your looking at the pilot? Mine looks like any other pilot with the slit in the center and its just to the left of the main jet/needle.

I'm running 48pj 175main and stock needle. I'm no where near at your altitude though. Are you sure your looking at the pilot? Mine looks like any other pilot with the slit in the center and its just to the left of the main jet/needle.

OK, I'm a dumb ass, I was looking at some other jet stamped 82.

My pilot is a 50.

I was going to say that with an 82 pilot you sure as hell would not need to use the choke to start it, and you'd be getting some seriously rich bog from zero to half throttle for sure with something like that! That is, if it would even start with an 82 :thumbsup:

My bike is running a 170 main with a 48 pilot, stock needle at 2nd clip from the top and 1 turn out on the air screw. I have a small amount of spooge still and I'm at about 3500 feet.

45 is a little too lean for 3000-4000 feet but might come in handy at 8000 feet. If your going to do most of your riding at 4000 feet use a 48 instead of a 50. You shouldn't notice it too too rich at 8000, not for a pilot IMO.

For the main that's a little tough with an elevation change like that. a 172 will be for sure a little rich at 8000 feet, but should work fine at 3-4000 feet with only a little bit of spooge.

This is just my first hand experience, in fact I have a thread in the jetting forum with my own jetting questions, as I'm no expert.

btw, I have never seen a pilot, even on chinese bikes, that do not have a slot to unscrew with a slotted screw driver...