Sign in to follow this  

DR350 1992.. hard starting..

Hey all.. so I got some replacement parts for my carb, got it back together and still some problems.. I sprayed gas into the intake and it started... got the idle adjusted... bike runs strong..

but wont restart w/o the spray of gas..

edit.... I just found a scematic (sp) that shows the smaller jet on the left side.. not the right which I have it on.. Im gonna switch it tomorrow and see if that is it.....

If it's an S model with the vacuum petcock make sure the petcock is set to prime.

Cold engine start = Full choke and throttle closed :thumbsup:

I switched out the petcock with one from a xt600... I dont need to prime it do I

I switched out the petcock with one from a xt600... I dont need to prime it do I
Not if it's not a vacuum petcock.

Did you cap off the vacuum port on the carb that fed the stock petcock?

Make certain that your pilot circuit is 100% clean.

Not if it's not a vacuum petcock.

Did you cap off the vacuum port on the carb that fed the stock petcock?

Make certain that your pilot circuit is 100% clean.

I cannot figure it out... I switched the two jets and now I cannot get it to start.... it has good compression so I dont think it is a vaccume problem...

it started before when I sprayed gas into the intake... it has to be the pilot circuit right?

I taped up the kickstand button to make sure that was not it... I checked the plug wire and rescrewed it on... I am baffled.. I gues Im gonna have to take the carb off AGAIN! all lines are clean... anything else??

Thanks

So now im thinking that it could be the compression... the motor turns over very easily when the compression lever is pulled.. It has some compression w/o but what if there is not enought to pull in gas? I changed out the petcock cause the original one was leaking gas into the cases.. when I drained the oil it was like water...

obviously this will wear the cylinder out prematurely...

question - how is the kicker supposed to feel with the comp lever pulled in? on my other bike there s ill some resistance... maybe it is not adjusted right?

the bike runs when gas is sprayed into the intake... but will not start on its own...

oh yeah.. all of the carb ports are cleaned... and the one is plugged from the original petcock....

how is the kicker supposed to feel with the comp lever pulled in?

It should kick over quite easily, it should be pretty tough to kick when the decomp lever is released.

the bike runs when gas is sprayed into the intake... but will not start on its own...

Still sounds like a dirty pilot circuit.

Did you remove the pilot jet and the air/fuel screw and then run a thin piece of wire through the ports followed by carb cleaner and compressed air?

It should kick over quite easily, it should be pretty tough to kick when the decomp lever is released.

Still sounds like a dirty pilot circuit.

Did you remove the pilot jet and the air/fuel screw and then run a thin piece of wire through the ports followed by carb cleaner and compressed air?

i used carb cleaner and sprayed compressed air thru.. did not run a wire but did get fluid out both sides.....

what are your thoughts about the air filter comment..??