Longer suspension?

First off, I tried the search; so if I suck at it or I am using the wrong search terms I am sorry.

I am in the process of converting my SM to a more capable DS (or basic S model). One of the things I would like and will probably need is more travel in the forks and shock. I believe I have about 10 inches now but would like to be closer to 12 (stock for the S?) and unfortunately I cannot just drop some Enzyte in in the tank.

In an attempt to be smart about this and maybe get even more travel than the normal S model I was wondering if anyone has tried any other solutions such as components from other bikes that will "bolt on". I already have a 21 inch fron wheel on the way.

Fortunately for me, my roadracing and dirtbike experience may help here. I know my wrenching skills will.

Thanks for the look, thanks for the help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor!

From my roadracing background I get the "quality" issue you bring up.

However, I want to make this SM truely as capable as those who have an "E" or "S" version. I need that extra travel in the terrain I typically ride my WR450, so I am certain I will need it on the much heavier DRZ.

How about this angle...

Does the DRZ S or DRZ E shock and forks work as a direct replacement for the DRZ SM? Other than the caliper mounts obviously.

Does the DRZ S or DRZ E shock and forks work as a direct replacement for the DRZ SM? Other than the caliper mounts obviously.

The 'SM uses 47mm upside-down Showa forks. The clamps/triple-trees are completely different from the 'S and 'E, which use right-side-up forks. You might look at RMZs for something you can swap--but I don't know if they have any more travel than the 'SM forks.

Either way, I recommend you do some more research on fork travel, types, etc, for the various models. Most people convert their 'S into an 'SM, not the other way 'round, so you're doing something that's not been covered much, AFAIK.

Honestly, you might be better off finding a used E model and keeping the SM as a SM or selling the SM for an E or S model. Just my 2 cents but the bikes are made for what they are made for ie SM is made for riding on the street and the E/S is made for dual sport/off roading.

First off, I tried the search; so if I suck at it or I am using the wrong search terms I am sorry.

I am in the process of converting my SM to a more capable DS (or basic S model). One of the things I would like and will probably need is more travel in the forks and shock. I believe I have about 10 inches now but would like to be closer to 12 (stock for the S?) and unfortunately I cannot just drop some Enzyte in in the tank.

In an attempt to be smart about this and maybe get even more travel than the normal S model I was wondering if anyone has tried any other solutions such as components from other bikes that will "bolt on". I already have a 21 inch fron wheel on the way.

Fortunately for me, my roadracing and dirtbike experience may help here. I know my wrenching skills will.

Thanks for the look, thanks for the help. Hopefully someday I can return the favor!

Toss em in a box and mail them to me...I'll send you back my E forks...problem solved

I have read here many times that the SM has 1" less rear suspension travel.

What would need to be done gain back the 1" of travel? is it just a new spring or is it something more expensive like a new S/E model shock?

I have read here many times that the SM has 1" less rear suspension travel.

What would need to be done gain back the 1" of travel? is it just a new spring or is it something more expensive like a new S/E model shock?

.. and this is the kind of question I have been trying to ask... just for both ends.

?

I can't part ways with the bike, Yoshimura hooked me up real nice motorwise, and my g/f loves the bike since it was the first one she ever rode (passenger) - 80 miles before she had a peep about being uncomfortable!

Anyway, maybe I just grab another rear and swap the rims out from grocery getter to DS mode....

this is becomming more difficult than I had planned.

I would bet a good shock shop could eliminate the travel restrictors in the SM forks and get you that inch of travel back.

I can't figure why they restrict the travel in the first place...unless it was perhaps a ground clearance issue with the smaller wheels.

I've had an S in the past and wasn't very happy with the action of the stock front forks. I just picked up an 06 sm and put some dirt wheels on it. The front end action on these showa forks is so much nicer than the S forks I wouldn't trade these forks in a minute to grab that extra inch. I do use all of the travel, but these forks bottom out very gracefully compared to the s forks. They also stay planted in turns much better. If want to go hog wild in some singe track I pull out the ktm. But I'm having a blast on this converted sm and it's nice to be able to ride to the offroad area instead putting the bike in the truck. Hope this input helps.

I've had an S in the past and wasn't very happy with the action of the stock front forks. I just picked up an 06 sm and put some dirt wheels on it. The front end action on these showa forks is so much nicer than the S forks I wouldn't trade these forks in a minute to grab that extra inch. I do use all of the travel, but these forks bottom out very gracefully compared to the s forks. They also stay planted in turns much better. If want to go hog wild in some singe track I pull out the ktm. But I'm having a blast on this converted sm and it's nice to be able to ride to the offroad area instead putting the bike in the truck. Hope this input helps.

DUDE You are the BOMB!! *tick tick* That is what I needed to hear. I can resell the 21inch front and use this for exactly the same use as you. As for the Single track I thought I would like that ability, but why else do I WR450!

Thanks for ALL the help, especially those of you who actually did help:p

DUDE You are the BOMB!! *tick tick* That is what I needed to hear. I can resell the 21inch front and use this for exactly the same use as you. As for the Single track I thought I would like that ability, but why else do I WR450!

Thanks for ALL the help, especially those of you who actually did help:p

Sounds like he added a 21 to the front, so you might want to reconsider reselling the one you have.

Put 18/21s on it with propper knobbies, set the sag and RIDE IT. The SM setup is a touch stiffer than the stock which will only help if you are over 155lb.

Get a feel for your setup and see if you can get it adjusted for your riding style. A pro level racer is bout the only one who could really get 100% out of the DRZ suspension but then a pro level rider would not be riding a drz would he?

Except for Travis Pastrana riding it in the Baja, right?

Really, a lot of riders do mods for fun thinking they are going to be a much better rider because of it. I suck at playin dirtbike and ouyside of better throttle response and properly setup suspension, practice is the thing that is going to make me better.

Dont overthink it.