Any problems yet appear with the WR250R/X?

I just noted the tread about bad fuel pumps. Are there any other problems or concerns that have started with the WR250R/X?

I'm trying to make up my mind between the WR and a Honda XRL, and noted no problems were posted with the WR until today - bummer??

Not that we know of other than the random fuel pump which I don't think we've seen on a bike that wasn't made in 08. Mostly early 08.

Then there was the chain issue, also 08 and just adjusting it correctly or replacing chain and sprocks fixes that. Most choose their own gearing anyway.

The issue was chain "skipping" though mine never actually slipped or skipped, just made a racket that sounded like it and bucked a little.

Oh and if you want to count the rear shock having a bit much rebound for jumps or really aggressive riding.

Yeah, the fuel pump issue on early '08's is the only real problem these bikes have other than crappy tires from the factory and a rear shock that could use some work. No doohickeys, cam chain tensioner disasters, or other reliability mods to worry about. There's not much you can do about the fuel pump but ride and see if it goes, my first '08 made it to ~17k miles without a problem, my current '08 is right in the middle of the failure range and is at about 1100 miles with nothing to report yet. The pump issue tends to occur some time before 2000-3000 miles, so if you're past that its pretty well in the clear.

my first '08 made it to ~17k miles without a problem, my current '08 is right in the middle of the failure range and is at about 1100 miles with nothing to report yet. .

You got 17K on one with no problems - well that sound pretty reliable. Still all the electronic gizmos - ECU, cam position sensor, FI, etc has me a bit worried as I would not beable to repair let alone diagonse a problem - same with the new cars/trucks.:thumbsup:

I have over 8000 on mine, it's an 09, and no hiccups. Still running the same sprockets/chain and going strong. :thumbsup:

ECU, cam position sensor, FI, etc has me a bit worried as I would not beable to repair let alone diagonse a problem - same with the new cars/trucks.:thumbsup:

The way I typically see things going with motorcycles is that with the vast majority of times someone has a problem with their new bike, they did it to themselved by f*cking with it or trying to work on it and making it worse than it was before they touched it or wrecking something in a crash or sinking it in a mud hole, river, or swamp. :lol:

Yeah...that last part I've already heard others have detonated the bottom end because of submarining the bike. I've gone thru lots of stuff but so far he hasn't tried to go to sleep on me in any deep water...

I bought my WR in 08. I was a little bit skeptical at first with it being a totally new bike with EFI and whatnot so i bought the YES warranty. Now, to my surprise, I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money (on the warranty).

The WR250R/X is a great bike for sure. Yamaha definatly has a hit with this one. It has taken the small displacement dual sport market to an entirely new level. Nothing in its approximate displacment even comes close.

I bought my WR in 08. I was a little bit skeptical at first with it being a totally new bike with EFI and whatnot so i bought the YES warranty. Now, to my surprise, I wish I wouldn't have wasted my money (on the warranty).

The WR250R/X is a great bike for sure. Yamaha definatly has a hit with this one. It has taken the small displacement dual sport market to an entirely new level. Nothing in its approximate displacment even comes close.

Iv'e been thinking about this. If you don't mind, what's the damage on the warranty?

I want to say 350 to 400 but I'm not certain. I'll have to check my paper work.

I have the YES warranty as well, it makes sense for me as I'm gonna put some stupid mileage on this bike too I hope. 2yr plan was something like $350 if memory serves.

I never quite understood the "its electric, I can't fix it!" mentality... the cage you drive to work every day is very likely fuel injected, with a digital ignition, and a host of sensors just like the WR250R's, and they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Its not any harder to work on fuel injection, hell I think its easier, its just a different procedure to check everything.

I have the YES warranty as well, it makes sense for me as I'm gonna put some stupid mileage on this bike too I hope. 2yr plan was something like $350 if memory serves.

I never quite understood the "its electric, I can't fix it!" mentality... the cage you drive to work every day is very likely fuel injected, with a digital ignition, and a host of sensors just like the WR250R's, and they last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Its not any harder to work on fuel injection, hell I think its easier, its just a different procedure to check everything.

Yep, and no gas spilling from a stuck carb. No petcock to forget to turn on (or off.)

And I still remember being SOL the weekend that my air screw decided to back itself out of my carb.

They didn't have any of those hanging around out in the Everglades.

So far, 6 months and no worries at all. Been through snow, deep water, 7000 feet elevation, sand on the beach. Starts within three turns of the starter. A little burp when cold and just starting out but other than that, runs away from my brother's XR400 on the street. He gets me in tight woods with the torque. Definitely thinking of the 290 kit.

BG

Biggest problem I've had so far is the drizzle, showers, heavy percipitation, squall, stormfront, downpour and plain ol' rain... Bike runs great.

Oh, well. Spring will get here sooner or later. Snowed last week.

Good time to mount up those new knobbie tires and try and figure out that speedo timer thing I guess.

Biggest problem I've had so far is the drizzle, showers, heavy percipitation, squall, stormfront, downpour and plain ol' rain... Bike runs great.

Oh, well. Spring will get here sooner or later. Snowed last week.

Good time to mount up those new knobbie tires and try and figure out that speedo timer thing I guess.

Geez, at least you have a Wr250. I want one and can't find one here near me if my life depended on it. F'n dealers don't respond to calls, not interested in getting one for me. I guess the econmy down turn is not affecting nothern California Yamaha. :thumbsup:

My horn stopped working. Noticed it yesterday when some dipshiat in front of me was too busy texting to notice the light had turned green.

WR250R #191 built 1/08 10,500 miles and no fuel issues at all.

My '09 has just over 21,000 miles and it still runs perfect. No odd noises, issues, nothing to worry about. This is quite possibly the highest mileage small displacement engine ever put into a motorcycle. Heck, I still havent checked the valves, not due for another 4,000 miles. Mine has been modded, Two Bros exhaust, all the uncork mods, PCIII, etc. Its just as useful on the highway as my '97 XR650L, with its extra 6th gear, but its also infinitely better offroad.

Cool thing about the EFI on this bike is that it completely is self diagnostic, meaning no emergency trips to dealer to read codes, reset ECU, test why it's running funny, etc..... can't ask for a better system! it can all be done in your garage and with a service manual interpreted pretty easily.

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the system (my efi experience is with dealer only programs and diagnostics; from working at a dealer) but so far I'm really stoked on it and think it's one of the better ideas from a manufacturer......

I don't post here often but do like to read. Unlike some of you I'm an older guy who uses the wr250x as a commuter bike. Mine's an 08 and one of the first thousand made (number nine hundred something....) anyway I just had it inspected and with about 4,000 miles on the odometer I have had zero problems. All I do is follow the maintenance recommendations in the owners manual. I will need a new rear tire next year. You guys who ride hard must have gobbled up the factory tires on this bike pretty quickly. Hopefully I can find a tire that will wear a bit better for me....... 71-73 mpg and practically zero maintenance costs. What's not to like?:)

qr

wr250x with manufacture date (printed on the front brake line) 12/07 bought new june 2008 and so far no problems AT ALL!:)

i also notice you guys from the US say you BOUGHT your warranty....here in greece(and in whole europe i think) we have 2 year warranty...why is that?