Sign in to follow this  

Generation/Years of KTM 300

Hi,

I'm looking for a KTM 300 to add to my stable. To that end I need to educate myself on the years/generations.

What are the years that are the same. For example, I've read the 99-02 are the same. What about after '02? (Only need to go back 10 years.)

I see that IMS only offers tanks up to the '06 year. Any ideas why?

Looking for this to be a compromise bike between my team Honda style XR650R (Cal plated) and my KDX200 (Cal plated).

Also want it to be a backup bike to my XR (eastern Oregon for example) and my KDX (Colorado for example) on trips where I've driven far to ride and don't want anything to be a showstopper.

Am in So Cal so it'll see some Dez use.

Probably interested in an EXC, if there are choices.

Originally wanted a newish YZ250 2-stroke but a friend has talked me into the 300.

Thanks,

I have an 06 300XCW and it was a new geneartion model. I know they have made generation changes since then, bodywork, frame, suspension, etc.

I haven't ridden a newer 300 but if they can possibly be better than my 06 they must be pure magic. I would look and see what's available, but as I said I wouldn't be afraid of an 06. Mine has the original top end in it because there has been absolutley no reason to change it. It has never broken down and works in the woods like every motorcycle should. Including my new 09 YZ450!!

I hope this helps as I am a new Yammie rider but still bleed orange if you cut me.

BubZ

lets see, I've owned a 99, 02, 04, 08. all 300's, any how from 99 to about 03 pretty close, 04 got a big update new ergo's, motor was 8 pounds lighte,r they got rid of the different crank and now share the same stroke as the 250, from 04 to 07 minor frame updates and suspension updates, the 08 another major update, new frames, shock angle, all new plastic, BIG improvement IMO the new frames are amazing, they handle so much better , just minor updates since, IMO there was no bad year they got better every year, i would buy the newest you can find, 04 was a very good bike, I would try and get at least an 04 and up if I were you.

Mike

lets see, I've owned a 99, 02, 04, 08. all 300's, any how from 99 to about 03 pretty close, 04 got a big update new ergo's, motor was 8 pounds lighte,r they got rid of the different crank and now share the same stroke as the 250, from 04 to 07 minor frame updates and suspension updates, the 08 another major update, new frames, shock angle, all new plastic, BIG improvement IMO the new frames are amazing, they handle so much better , just minor updates since, IMO there was no bad year they got better every year, i would buy the newest you can find, 04 was a very good bike, I would try and get at least an 04 and up if I were you.

Mike

to add to this....96/97 similar, and 98-01 similar then 02/03 got a good boost in engine power. from 04 on same as mike says.

Joe