Left Side Crankcase Cap/ Bolt Problems

I was going to check the vavle adjustment today after work and got the lower left side crankcase cap off with no problem. The upper Crankcase cap to expose the T mark seemed to be a little rounded from the PO's attempt to put the old one back in instead of replacing it.

Now I can't get the upper crankcase cap out and it is driving me crazy, the cap is pretty much rounded and won't break free. :thumbsup: Does anyone know any tricks to get this out??

I was going to check the vavle adjustment today after work and got the lower left side crankcase cap off with no problem. The upper Crankcase cap to expose the T mark seemed to be a little rounded from the PO's attempt to put the old one back in instead of replacing it.

Now I can't get the upper crankcase cap out and it is driving me crazy, the cap is pretty much rounded and won't break free. :thumbsup: Does anyone know any tricks to get this out??

Without causing further destruction... no. However since it's already shot, I would either cut a slot with a dremel for a screwdriver or drill a small hole off center and chase it around with a hammer and punch.

Without causing further destruction... no. However since it's already shot, I would either cut a slot with a dremel for a screwdriver or drill a small hole off center and chase it around with a hammer and punch.

I used the latter method with a chisel. Since my cam has no compression release, I don't bother lining up the marks; I just do the starting drill and leave it at the top of the compression stroke.

I welded an aluminum hex onto mine. The heat made it pretty much loosen by hand lol.

Thanks for the responses i will get it out one way or another, i got to frustrated tonight and had to give up before i hurt myself or something stupid...seems i am more accident prone working on the pig than anything else, i am sure i am not the only one. : )

I can tell you one thing, having a couple of beers and looking at the cap sure didn't loosen it much, but maybe tomorrow i will have better success.

Thanks for the responses i will get it out one way or another, i got to frustrated tonight and had to give up before i hurt myself or something stupid...seems i am more accident prone working on the pig than anything else, i am sure i am not the only one. : )

I can tell you one thing, having a couple of beers and looking at the cap sure didn't loosen it much, but maybe tomorrow i will have better success.

Sounds like we use the same problem solving technique... drink a few beers and get "creative" :lol:

School of hard knocks has taught me to walk away... go in the house as soon as I crack the second beer :thumbsup:

knock a 12 point allen hex into it ,the knock will shock it the hex will grip it hope this helps

good luck

thanks i will give that a try, we have had some rain the last few days...so once it clears up i will try to do a proper valve adjustment. I have a new cap on order, and i will mess with getting the old one out then.

I had that problem with an NX 650. The center cap was too tight from the factory and rounded out. I got it out with a hammer and chisel (after ordering a new cap).

They DON'T have to be tight. Just tight enough they won't leak or fall out. That's all you need. If it weeps a little, snug it down just a hair.

Same goes for your oil drain bolts. They're just plugs.