What Happens When ther is no oil in a 2 stroke tranny.

Ok there is a huge fight around my house because my little brother thinks I drained the oil in his Rm125 When I think it was either one of his friends or it leaked. Any ways he went out side and started it up revved the piss out of it then took off up the street on the road. About a mile later it shut off and he started it again. It shut off again then he kicked it and the kickstart wouldn't budge. He thinks that the engine is blown because no oil in the crankcase and I don't think that it would have anything to do with his bike seizing ( IF IT IS EVEN SEIZED). The neighbor who works on the bikes has it in his shed but hasn't gotten too it yet. I think his bike is seized, But from a cold seizure and not because the oil in the tranny. What do you guys think happened? And do you think it has to do with the tranny.

One question. I don't know thr RM's that well but do you know if one main bearing is lubricated by the geabox oil? I know some are..If so, that main bearing may have seized from no lubrication.

Most likely the bearings in the trans are locked up from lack of lube.

if he started it up cold and revved the piss out of it without a decent warm up then he may have cold seized it. you DON'T want to rev a 2 stroke when cold a ton until the radiator top starts to feel warm ( 2-3 minutes?). he would have felt clutch problems with a dry tranny way before it would seize up ( the tranny that is).

Joe

Ive been forced to runa baout 3 motos on no tranny oil and i experienced no problems at all on my old YZ 125. I mean i def. wouldnt do it again but i had to do what i had to do

Sounds cold seized to me. There's really nothing in the tranny that can lock up the cylinder/crankcase. The transmission oil does not lubricate the crankcase in any way.

Thanks for all the responses I have no clue if it is seized or not yet. Just the kickstart supposedly won't budge. Could the engine ( Cylinder and Crank) be fine and just the tranny is seized?

Thanks for all the responses I have no clue if it is seized or not yet. Just the kickstart supposedly won't budge. Could the engine ( Cylinder and Crank) be fine and just the tranny is seized?

Yes. If the tranny locked up, you very well could get away with no crank/piston/cylinder damage since they do not get oil from the tranny case. I wonder if he burned up his clutch and broke a fiber and there's junk locking up the kickstarter? Might be able to get away with a good flushing of the tranny and a new clutch kit.

I was hoping more of the answers would have favored my arguement but it looks like if the transmission oil lubes the main bearing in any way then we could have a fight on our hands. Even though i didn't do it the kid is like 100% certain I did so now his friends are saying he's putting sugar in my Cr's gastank. Ahhh this is annoying. :thumbsup:

The transmission oil does absolutely nothing other than lube the clutch and transmission gears, if it IS inside the engine, then theres a problem (leaking seal). So no, draining the tranny oil would not harm the engine at all. Transmission, yes.

Ive been forced to runa baout 3 motos on no tranny oil and i experienced no problems at all on my old YZ 125. I mean i def. wouldnt do it again but i had to do what i had to do

Werd. I don't know if there's anything special about the RM, but we have twice run ktm250's (2 different bikes) without oil for more than a full day of hard desert riding. Once due to a hidden crack from a rock, and once due to stupidity. One bike started getting a little noise on the 2nd day, so we took it home and started trying to figure out what was going on. drained the tranny oil and were alarmed when none came out. Added more and the noise went away, then we noticed the steady drip of oil coming out from underneath the clutch cover. doh.

ahh, arguments between 8 and 10 year olds... I remember when I was that age!

The transmission oil does NOT lube the main bearings in a two stroke, period. The main bearings are lubed by the pre-mix oil. A seizure of gears in the transmission will not lock up the kick starter. If the kicker won't budge with the tranny in neutral then the cylinder or crank is seized. Not a symptom of low or empty transmission oil. No way, no how.

The transmission oil does absolutely nothing other than lube the clutch and transmission gears, if it IS inside the engine, then theres a problem (leaking seal). So no, draining the tranny oil would not harm the engine at all. Transmission, yes.

On some early Suzukis, the right side main bearing DOES get it's lubrication from the TRANSMISSION OIL. Check an OEM parts blow-up for a 1980 TS-250 for example. Take the primary gear off the crank and there's the bearing...No seal. It's on the other side of the bearing. An RM- 125 does NOT seem to be this design.

Okay now this seems t be getting in a big debate. So who is right is all I want to know. Will a seized tranny lock a kickstart?. This bike is a 1995 and was just rebuilt new crank, bearings, seals, and top end over the summer and well i'd be kinda ticked if I were him to own it for 3 days before blowing it up. Trust me it wasn't like a craigslist scam or nothing where they said the bike had that done, we bought it from my neighbor who we watched rebuild the bikes and hast about 7 more 125's in his basement. He does good work and since the seals were new I have no clue how it could have got the oil taken from the bike without someone draining it just to ruin his brand new bike.

Well is it possible that the engine wasn't ran in properly and from pre mature stresses something in the engine gave up on him and it siezed up? I don't see how the transmission having no oil would effect the kickstarter in any way. Not 100% sure on that though.

i don't know how he could think that you drained the oil(i mean come one its F@#$#$ stupid, why would you want to cause hundreds of dollars of damage for a joke)

i don't know but what friend would have access to his bike when he wasn't there and had time to find a drain dish or something and drain the oil,

what a perfect sabotage plan MO AH AH AHAHAHAHHA, i am lord transmission drain, with a secret plan to drain everyones transmission oil so there bikes sieze

amy way, one time my grandads cars transmission oil somehow left the trassmission, after a while it started getting noises and grindier, but it didnt sieze

i would think the top end is siezed, since going for a couple minute ride shouldn't seize the transsmission, it would take a little longer

Check your premix. Did someone fuel the bike without oil in the gas? Did you screw up the mix ratio?

Did the guy that rebuilt it forget to put oil back in it?

Even if the guy that rebuilt the bike is very good it is possible to make a mistake.

Tell your brother to settle down until you figure out what actually did go wrong with the bike.

If he had no problems shifting and there was no strange noise then I would be surprised if it is the transmission.

I'm not gonna lie he could have been riding for 2 days without transmission oil. I did hear some sort of weird noise while he was riding and I remember asking him to stop the bike so I could listen but then it was goine. I'm just really hoping there is nothing that can lead to it looking like my fault. I think it is a crank seal or his dick friends.

Didnt you say he started it cold, revved it hard and hammered down? Very well could be a cold seize...