Hare-Scramble Improvments

Hey guys, i just completed my first Hare-scramble and finished dead last. I need to improve in many areas does anyone have any tips for cutting down times? Thx

answered your double post in the MX section

what kind of problems did you have?were there alot of other riders?

Hey guys, i just completed my first Hare-scramble and finished dead last. I need to improve in many areas does anyone have any tips for cutting down times? Thx

First thing is that you gotta get more comfortable. You need to race more. I started racing a couple years ago and I am just now getting comfortable riding in a crowd. Its different.

Second... only worry about riding your best. It doesn't matter how fast anyone else goes. Ride at your pace.

third thing is to make sure that your bike is setup correctly.

Are you on a 4 stroke... I switched to a lighter two stroke for racing. I am a lot less fatigued.

get a treadmill... use it.

have fun.

The only goal for your 1st race should be to finish, IMO. So, you accomplished that.

Just make sure you're in shape and keep racing.

Don't wear yourself out on the start. Just get in a rythm and go at your pace.

Don't stop too much or crash.

That's pretty much all I can say with the info you gave. I raced my 1st in late Feb and finished 7 to last (aside from those that DNF'd) and finsihed 5 to last in Feb. But, I finshed w/o getting hurt and have identified where my weak spots are, lots of them.

A lighter 2 stroke wouldn't wear me out as much, but that isn't happening right now. Stopping takes me out of rythm. Crashing takes rythm completely down and drains confidence. Otherwise, I'm still just slow.

Ride, ride and ride a few times more similar terrain(like you are racing on) as much as possible.

Work out your upper body and legs.

As mentioned above do lots of cardio.

I run and do some mountain biking.

Mountain biking is probably the best training/exercise you can do for

this sport. I know several AA guys and this is all they do for training.

If you are finishing your races you are already a head of some poor souls so

congrats on that. lol

B/c as some of us know, just finishing is an accomplishment in itself.

Good luck and HAVE FUN.:thumbsup:

my 2 cents anyways.

Here's some tips that I've learned from racing hare scrambles:

1. You can't win it on the first lap, but you can lose a bunch of time. So learn to pin it on the first lap.

2. After the first lap settle into your "long distance" pace. Remember that in many ways you really are only racing the clock.

3. Most races only require one gas stop to make it to he end, so stop as soon as you know that the second tank will get you to the finish. Any gas that you carry across the finish line is only weight that you carried but never used, so keep it to a minimum.

4. Eat a big meal the night before, or at least 4 hours before the race starts. Good nutrition before any distance event is very important.

5. When you do pit think "NASCAR!". You need to get in and back out as quickly as you can, if you have to take off your helmet your messing around way way too much. It does help to have a plan of exactly what you are going to do when you do pit, remember ~ seconds do count!

I agree with the above posts. To add a couple to the list:

1. It may sound goofy, but remember to breath during the race. It's easy to tense up, and you begin to take shallow breaths. (just don't inhale the dude in front's roost!)

2. Pre-race prep. Make sure and do a little warm up before you head to the start line. 15-20 minutes... run, pushups, whatever to get the blood flowing. Also, try and have your gear and bike ready long before your start. It's nerve-wracking trying to fill a camelbak and your gas tank at the same time (btw, never put gas in your camelbak).

3. If you can, pre-ride the course, it's a great advantage to know where you're going.

4. Make sure you drink (water, not Jager) during the race. As much as you can.

5. Have fun! That's why you're doing it. The more pressure you put on yourself, the worse you'll do—and you won't have fun. Forget about everyone else, and get into your own rhythm.

6. Hang out in your gear long after the finish. Chicks dig it! :thumbsup:

- Chris

This is coming from a C rider: I'm on my 3rd season of harescrambles and starting to do enduros. Like was said above you can't win it in the first lap. The last one that I did my last lap was my fastest by 40 seconds. However if you don't get out in front of the pack then you're fighting harder to pass all of those people that shouldn't be in front of you.

My technique (I'm sure some will laugh) take my time the first lap. Let all the crazies get out there n smash each other up and get worn down and beat then start pickin 'em off 1 by 1 :thumbsup:. I like to think that I'm goin huntin with my XR :lol:. So for example my last race: 1st lap - 16th, 2nd lap - 14th, 3rd lap - 13th, 4th - 10th, last lap - 7th. I placed 36th out of 209 overall!

But the most important thing is to have fun really! However you want to ride that you're smiling. AND DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T STOP AND TAKE A BREAK. I can't understand these guys that pay up to $50 to race and 20 mins in they're standin in the woods just lookin beat. RIDE!!! There's plenty of time to rest once the race is over!

But yea - I'm a C rider and I'm sure that not all of my suggestions are the right way to do things.

This is coming from a C rider: I'm on my 3rd season of harescrambles and starting to do enduros. Like was said above you can't win it in the first lap. The last one that I did my last lap was my fastest by 40 seconds. However if you don't get out in front of the pack then you're fighting harder to pass all of those people that shouldn't be in front of you.

My technique (I'm sure some will laugh) take my time the first lap. Let all the crazies get out there n smash each other up and get worn down and beat then start pickin 'em off 1 by 1 :thumbsup:. I like to think that I'm goin huntin with my XR :lol:. So for example my last race: 1st lap - 16th, 2nd lap - 14th, 3rd lap - 13th, 4th - 10th, last lap - 7th. I placed 36th out of 209 overall!

But the most important thing is to have fun really! However you want to ride that you're smiling. AND DON'T GIVE UP. DON'T STOP AND TAKE A BREAK. I can't understand these guys that pay up to $50 to race and 20 mins in they're standin in the woods just lookin beat. RIDE!!! There's plenty of time to rest once the race is over!

But yea - I'm a C rider and I'm sure that not all of my suggestions are the right way to do things.

the waiting it out thing is a big mistake if you want to be competitive, for all the ones you pick off by waiting there will be the same amount who get out in front quick and stay there..

But as you said if you are having fun that is all that matters:ride:

Keeping it on two wheels is the biggest improvement I found you can make. Falling not only takes a bunch of time but sucks loads of energy. So stay focused at ride at a pace that will cause you to not fall. That being said, I've had to learn that many times faster is easier in terms of getting through sections. If it's loose soil, log crossings, whoops, whatever. Your throttle is your friend. I used to slow down and make it way too difficult and spend a lot of energy as opposed to just twisting the throttle and getting through.

Just ride and race more you'll get there.

Like was said before practice practice practice. If you have some woods or something near you to ride in spend a day making a loop thru there with typical stuff you'd see in a HS. log crossings, tight stuff, streams, whatever you can dream up and just ride it till it's too easy then make it harder.

I just spend all afternoon today working on a woods loop to practice on to tie in with a moto track. Can't wait to ride it!!