Trail YZ250F

I was wondering about getting a YZ250F and using it for mainly tight single track trails in the woods. I know I should be looking at a WR250F for that but they are not as powerful and a lot heavier. I was just wondering how much money and effort it would take to make a stock 250F into a trail bike that would be suited for trails and not really racing. I don't really care about a headlight but I would like to get a spark arrestor and maybe have some suspension work done. Any suggestions?

do it

Ya man i was thinkin about getting a wr but i said their not as powerfull and i cant realy race it (cause i am doin both track and trails) and i like my 250f alot and it is perfect in the trails stock. my sugestion is that you dont need to change much but what you should do is go a tooth down on the front sprocket but you dont have too it is perfect in the trails

first day out on my 250f saturday and i took her on some tight trails and hills. LOVED IT!!!! handled like champ!!! no problems at all.

DO IT!!

I added a FFW and a larger rear sprocket to mine and now i have a woods weapon.

Night and day compared to the slow and heavy 250x my buddy use to let me ride.

My yz250f is strictly a trail bike, and it does well.

pro moto billet kickstand, reserve petcock from a wr, +2 teeth on the rear, flatland racing skid+rad guards, easy-kick on starter, quick-shot and zip ty screw on the carb, dr.d bar mount hot start, stage 1 hot cams (2001 didn't come with auto decompression), dr.d SS header with fmf Q2 muffler for trails (dr.d can for private property), and a sdg gripper seat.

i've never had any reliability problems, loads of low end, and it sips on the gas. i've never used reserve. it outlasts the 250t's and 450's i ride with on fuel. the fuel screw is really easy to adjust while riding if i need to change something. the kickstand folds up high like a ktm's, so it doesn't flop down or hang up on anything. the stock seat is unbearable on trails. it is too slippery and feels close to sitting on the fender.

i don't have a light, but i don't ride at night and usually ride directional trails. i don't have an e-button, but it fires up easily cold, or hot with the bar mount hot start. being a lighter guy, i don't need flywheel weights for it to carry me around. i think the yz can be made into a great trail bike since you're starting with a lightweight bare platform. you can build it how you want to. personally, i wouldn't need electric start on the wr, and i'd probably strip a lot off of it. the yz might take a little money, but it would be more tailored for your riding. i geared down, since i don't ride higher speed trails, where the wr would blow past me in the desert, but i could out handle one in the tight stuff.

Just an idea i have...is it possible to swap tranny internals from an 01 yz125 to an 01 yz250f? A 6-speed would be icing on the came to me for this bike on the trails.

~Tony

I was wondering about getting a YZ250F and using it for mainly tight single track trails in the woods. I know I should be looking at a WR250F for that but they are not as powerful and a lot heavier. I was just wondering how much money and effort it would take to make a stock 250F into a trail bike that would be suited for trails and not really racing. I don't really care about a headlight but I would like to get a spark arrestor and maybe have some suspension work done. Any suggestions?

Have you ever ridden an uncorked wr? They can have the weight taken off just as easy as adding things to make a yz a trail bike. If you added some suspension work and uncorked the wr I personally believe it is a much better single track bike. I grew up with motocross bikes and always trail rode them but the wide ratio transmission helps alot in the tight slow stuff. Then again I have mine set up pretty well and it is really comfortable to me, so go with whats comfortable

Just an idea i have...is it possible to swap tranny internals from an 01 yz125 to an 01 yz250f? A 6-speed would be icing on the came to me for this bike on the trails.

~Tony

No, but the WR250F wide ratio tranny bolts in. No need for a 6 speed when you have a wide ratio 5 speed. :thumbsup:

Good to hear some of the parts are direct bolt-ons. What about for a 2004 YZ250F, are there any WR pieces/parts (FWW, Shock, forks, Tran, etc...) that are direct bolt-ons to make it a little more woodsy?

i have the best of both. i have a 07 yz250f with a 07 wr motor in it. the motor has a 290kit,hot cams,08 yz carb,stock 07 wr header pipe,q4 muffler and a rekluse.i race dist 36 enduros on it the suspension is stock i just lowered the fork oil.hard to catch me in the tight stuff.the only reason i went with the wr motor is at 48 i need the electric start

With the upcoming Idaho City Qualifier months away there are a lot of yz250f being signed up from local mx racers who do their one off-road event. Basic upgrades are a spark arrestor, some do a kickstand (borrowed so they don't have to find a tree at the checks), handguards, one or two teeth larger on the back sprocket, jetting for the higher elevations.

Yea you can make it work. Change gearing if you need to or do what I did and put a WR tranny in there to get some real top end out of it. I ended up with 12X52 sprockets and mine will snap you neck or stand up in 4 gears easily and rip down the dirt roads at almost 70.