Why a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke bike?

I'm new to the world of 4 stroke dirt bikes and I'm just wondering why would someone want a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke? Other than the fact you don't need to always mix oil and deal with the smoke what other reasons are there? I just bought a used 2005 YZ 450F and it seems like there's a boatload more maintenance on it compared to the older 2 strokes I've had in years past. The more I read about all the 4 stroke issues the more I wonder if I made the right choice. As it is right now I can't get this thing to run right after rebuilding the carb so now it looks like I may need to check the valves for proper adjustment. The bike doesn't have many miles on it but it looks like that's the next thing to check since I can only keep the bike running with the choke on.

4-strokes are easier to ride and put the power to the ground better than 2-strokes.

I'm definitely a 2-stroke person but I don't hate 4-strokes. I myself just don't think I can give up the rush of being on the pipe on a 2-stroke. Even if you're not going that fast, you feel like you're on a rocket.

Its good to read up on maintenance and stuff but keep in mind most of the problems you read about the bikes are only because people don't post about how their bikes ran good today, only if they had a problem.

Keep the filter clean, change the oil regularly, and keep the valves in check and you should be golden. YZF's are the most reliable ones out there. Start with the small and work your way up if the bike is giving you trouble. You say you rebuilt the carb, make sure the air boot is tightened and there's no air leaks first. Check the valves, Make sure the gas is fresh, pop in a new plug, make sure the filter is clean (The basics).

One reason is there are only two manufactures making them now I believe. Yamaha and KTM.

One reason is there are only two manufactures making them now I believe. Yamaha and KTM.

Suzuki still makes the 250R and 85/L

Suzuki still makes the 250R and 85/L
Suzuki is still making a 85 two stroke? I love Suzuki's, I may have bought a RM85 if I would have know that.
Suzuki is still making a 85 two stroke? I love Suzuki's, I may have bought a RM85 if I would have know that.

I'm actually not sure if it is still in production but I know they still sell them. They're still listed on Suzuki's website but they aren't 2010's. Then again, half of their motorcycles aren't listed as 2010s.

Dealers around me still sell the 85's.

I'm actually not sure if it is still in production but I know they still sell them. They're still listed on Suzuki's website but they aren't 2010's. Then again, half of their motorcycles aren't listed as 2010s.

Dealers around me still sell the 85's.

they do just not sold to the usa

All manufacturesr except for honda sell a 85, taking that out of the lineup with nothing to replace it would be suicide. Honda has the 150r, and i dont see many of them

I like the thumpin' sound of a 4stroke and I don't like mixing gas.

How about Husqvarna / GasGas / TM and I understand you can still get Zuks and Kawi's out of the US...

the first reply sums it up pretty good.. But I will add that the control you get with a 4 stroke is better IMO.. no surpises.. that all being said I love two strokes.. but like the 4stroke for the motocross track way better for jumping and confidence

If your bike only runs with the choke on... it's usually due to a restricted pilot circuit (slow jet).

If your bike only runs with the choke on... it's usually due to a restricted pilot circuit (slow jet).

The pilot circuit was pretty dirty but I kept blowing it out with carb cleaner and then compressed air until the fluid was all clear coming out and I replaced all the jets just to make sure. I haven't checked the valves yet so I'll need to read up on them a little before I try to adjust them. I just changed the oil and going by the book there's a lot of stuff that needs to be drained and checked. I could have changed the oil in my car 3 times in the amount of time it took to change the bikes oil.

Don't forget Maico. Man, I would like to try one of those 700cc 2 strokes once...

Recheck the carb.

Recheck the carb.

I might take the bike to the dealer so they can rebuild the carb again and submerge it in the hot tank they have since it might have some nasty varnish I can't get with regular carb cleaner. They want $100.00 which doesn't seem to bad if they can actually fix it.

for that price you might as well send it to Zip tye and get them to mod it for you. They only cost 125 and they clean the crap out of it

for that price you might as well send it to Zip tye and get them to mod it for you. They only cost 125 and they clean the crap out of it

The only reason I was considering taking it to the dealer was that they might find something else causing my problem and not need to rebuild the carb. If they rebuild the carb and it doesn't fix my problem I won't be paying for the rebuild.

One other thing I do like about a 4 stroke is the range I can get on a long trail ride vs. the amount of fuel it would take to go the same distance on a 2 stroke. We regularly go on 60+ mile loops and after a few years of the 2 strokes running out or having to mount a huge desert tank to go the same distance, nearly all of my riding buddies are now on 4 stroke bikes. YMMV