de-powering a 125 for my gf???

I got my girlfriend a 300ex to learn on for the past year. She is still a beginner at it but she has good control of the clutch and all that. We both want her to get into bikes so she can ride at the mx track instead of just watching me ride all Sunday.

The problem is, shes 5'll". Basically, she is too big for teh yz80 size mx bikes. I could get her a ttr225 or xr200 style bike, which has the right amount of power for her, but several people have told me the bike is gonna get destroyed at the mx track.

So basically, she needs to get a 125 mx'er. I already know they fit her perfectly, im just a lil concerned about the power...especially since the twostrokes have that powerband that she might not be used to. Is there any way to mellow out the power and/or make it more linear...like a four stroke. I want her to have FUN, not get hurt.

I also like teh fact that the two stroke is so light so she can really muscle it around. Any thought on this would be appreciated.

Btw, she is 21 yrs old, 5'11" and about 145 lbs. thanks

Making a throttle stop would be an easy and cheap way of taking some of the killing-machine-ness away from a bike. Probably won't make it any more linear or 4 stroke like though.

Edit: Another thread just reminded me, you can disconnect the power valve and it will be tame as a kitten. Might take away more than what you want though. Still free.

Maybe let her try it before trying to detune it. Perhaps she can handle the power just fine. It's all in the wrist after all.

Why not get her a 250F and retard the cam one tooth. That'll smooth out the power. You could also get a woods pipe and pinch off the exhaust to mellow it a lil more. If you want more you can add a second base gasket.

That way as she gets better you can open up the exhaust, reset the cam, remove the extra gasket when ready she's for more. :thumbsup:

Plus the thumper power will be much easier for her to control than a 125.

flywheel weight, smooth out that powerband hit.

Take a look in the yami 2 stroke forum. There is a great write up on retarding the timing!!!

flywheel weight, smooth out that powerband hit.

That works wonders on taming a beast, and is easily reversible.

littler back sproket

Get her a CRF250X. It's probably the perfect bike for her. It's got an electric start, a heavier flywheel and makes the same power as a 125 but with much more low end torque, which will make things much easier for her.

+1 on letting her try it out first.

If it does end up being too much hit, a flywheel weight would work great.

Porting is the number one way to do it. You would be surprised but what they can do. Have you considered an 85 big wheel? Its about the same size as a 125. Let her try it first get her input on what she does and doesnt like and then see if you can talk to some one like Eric Gorr about getting the motor to run like you want

what about 2 base gaskets under the barrel..cheap and so so easy to do

FWW

maybe disconnect the PV, that will make it gutless

Thanks for all the responses guys. Yes, a 250f would be ideal but the problem is that being a four stroke guy myself, it tough to buy a reliable mx 4t used. Plus, im not lookin to spend any more than 1500 on the bike. She's not looking to be the next Ashley FIolek..well, atleast not yet. RIght now, its just for her to learn on and we'll see what happens in the future.

THats why I figured the 125...cause its a full size bike but its cheap to repair, light and reliable.

I guess the flywheel weight for teh 125 two stroke is the best idea.

Give her a wide open area and let her try it out and get a feel for it. I did the same thing with my wife, 300ex and all, then let her ride my 2t 250. It took her a bit, but she picked it up and did very well except for stopping(she kept falling over due to being short). She is only 5-2 and about 100lbs so I was quite impressed with how well she did with the power.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Yes, a 250f would be ideal but the problem is that being a four stroke guy myself, it tough to buy a reliable mx 4t used. Plus, im not lookin to spend any more than 1500 on the bike. She's not looking to be the next Ashley FIolek..well, atleast not yet. RIght now, its just for her to learn on and we'll see what happens in the future.

THats why I figured the 125...cause its a full size bike but its cheap to repair, light and reliable.

I guess the flywheel weight for teh 125 two stroke is the best idea.

My guess is she will hate a 125 because of the lack of low end torque. A FFW will calm the 125's hit but it won't magically make a 125 produce good low end power. If you have a $1,500 limit, I would search for a KDX220. It will be much easier for her to ride because they have great low end power, and it still has enough beans and suspension to get around a mx track.

My guess is she will hate a 125 because of the lack of low end torque. A FFW will calm the 125's hit but it won't magically make a 125 produce good low end power. If you have a $1,500 limit, I would search for a KDX220. It will be much easier for her to ride because they have great low end power, and it still has enough beans and suspension to get around a mx track.

so you say........

my mom hates mine for that reason

This is what she needs. Not too fast, not too slow, much lighter than a thumper, with enough suspension to get it done for a beginner.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/1660721471.html

No offense but he wants a MX bike for her. The KDX is "heavy" with no front suspension and no matter what you do to it, it wont be a good track bike. They do have an OK engine but better for off road.

Edited by MXOldtimer

Wow, some terrible,terrible advice here....

The kdx 220,and crf250x are not mx bikes, whatsoever.....

The 85 big wheel is way,way too small for a person 5'11, i am 5'9 and way to big for one

Your best options, depending on your budget,and maintenance schedule of course are a 250f, and a 125 smoker.

I am not a 4 stroke advocate, and personally can't stand the 250f, but I know they work very well for allot of people. Other people can elaborate further if one sparks your interest.

As for a 125, they can be knocked down a bit in their hit with a fly wheel weight(go for a big one), a throttle cam and tall gearing. Another(more expensive option) is the rekluse auto clutch......

Good luck, and please don't listen to some of these clowns.....