Sign in to follow this  

Front brake help - 08SM

OK this is my first time changing the front brake pads on my SM. I took the caliper off of the mount and removed the pin and both pads came right out. The metal clip on the side where the hook end of the pads go remained in place.

I used a C clamp on one of the pistons to make room for the new pads and was then able to slide the new pads in. As i went to re insert the pin i notice the pads were not lined up to accept the pin. To get the pads to line up the hook is not is not butting up to the caliper. Is this correct? In this position i was not able to get the caliper back on the rotor.

HPIM3370.jpg

HPIM3369.jpg

Looks OK from THAT angle. Try spreading the pads with a screwdriver.

Everyhing seems to look okAY. So you only one piston back in?.......not both?

I'd take he front wheel off and reinstall the caliper and then put the pads on. Is there enough room for the rotor clearance wise? Or s it just that you can put the caliper back on the fork leg

Everyhing seems to look okAY. So you only one piston back in?.......not both?

I'd take he front wheel off and reinstall the caliper and then put the pads on. Is there enough room for the rotor clearance wise? Or s it just that you can put the caliper back on the fork leg

I only had 1 c clamp, when i would depress the piston the other would come out. What i did was made the pistons equal and that allowed me to get the pads on. i did try using a flat head screwdriver in an attempt to spread the pads (not on the inside of the pads themselves) but i still could not press it onto the rotor. So yes, not enough clearance to slide the rotor through the pads to mount back up.

Any suggestions appreciated!

ahh, makes sense. ill try it. should i take the top off the master cylinder?

Sometimes you don't even need clamps, and no....no need IMO to take the cover off. Put left pad in place and push...that's all I do to get clearance. It's always easier to do everything with the tyre off.

Thanks for your help guys. Applying a little pressure using the clamp w/ pad gave me just enough clearance. I then gently tapped on the caliper with a rubber mallet and on it went!

On a side note, for you owners with over 7000miles CHECK your brake pads! I hit the 8K mark and this is how mine looked

HPIM3371.jpg

HPIM3373.jpg

and the main reason why i couldn't get the rotor on was my lil guy who refused to nap yesterday. i cant even snap a pic without him jumping in :thumbsup:

HPIM3374.jpg

Right on ya mate! I know the feeling. I gots my self two rug rats myself.

Your pads were so worn that the pistons was most likely at full travel. I just replaced my pads on my SM and had to do the same thing. I went around 12,000 miles on my last set. I went from the 65$ SM pads to the 30$ S pads. Your brake lever is gunna feel brand new again. I'd use one finger for awhile untill your used t the stoppng power.

I'm about 70% I don't really use my rear all that much unless I'm going through a lot f evelvation changes on a tight back road

Yep, my rear is still like new. My rear brake got used more the last week (knowing my front was shot) than the the entire life of my bike.