Adjusting Timing - Any Thoughts?

I noticed on my stator, there's 3 "index marks" by one of the screw holes, for adjustimg timing. Assumably by +/- 1*. My stator was in the stock ?center" position. Has anyone gained any performance or any advantages at all by advancing or retarding the timing? I've adjusted timing on my vehicles before, but never on a two-stroke. Do the same principles apply? I read somewhere that retarding timing on a two-stroke is where the power is made. Is this correct?

Anyway, any help is appreciated!

I have retarded the timing on almost every Japanese two-stroke I've owned by about 1-1.5 degrees. It smooths the transition onto the pipe and extends the over-rev a little.

After having it retarted 1.5* for a few months now, I decided to advance it back to stock to see if I'd know a difference. At stock timing, I noticed less over rev, but much more bottom end torque, espesially with my RB mods. I'm leaving it stock for now as it suits my riding style a bit better. A few weeks down the road I may advance it even more and see what happens.

After having it retarted 1.5* for a few months now, I decided to advance it back to stock to see if I'd know a difference. At stock timing, I noticed less over rev, but much more bottom end torque, espesially with my RB mods. I'm leaving it stock for now as it suits my riding style a bit better. A few weeks down the road I may advance it even more and see what happens.
Everybody should experiment with timing, it is a little-used but useful tuning aid. Just be careful when advancing timing. If you hear any signs of detonation, stop riding and set it back to the previous setting.

I had my ears peeled for knock, but even with some off-idle 4th gear pulls I didn't hear any (running RB head as well.) I'll leave it there for now and advance it once I get "used" to this.

I had my ears peeled for knock, but even with some off-idle 4th gear pulls I didn't hear any (running RB head as well.) I'll leave it there for now and advance it once I get "used" to this.
Detonation isn't likely to be an issue with the timing set to stock. I was talking about being careful once you decide to advance beyond stock.