Two mistakes costs me bigtime!!!!

This past Sunday I went riding at a huge field by my house. I didnt wear my chest protector (mistake #1) because I wasnt riding any tracks I didnt think I needed it. As you circle the field (big laps) there are a couple of plateau jumps. This particular jump I didnt bother to check to make sure the landing was clear (mistake #2), well needless to say it wasnt. We've had so much rain that the ground had wash away and I landed in a big hole about 3 feet deep and came to a instant stop and my upper body hit the bars. Well with no chest protector on I broke a couple of ribs and punctured a lung! I have to have more X-rays done tomarrow to see if my lung is getting worse, if so I'll have to be admitted into the Hospital for God knows what! Right now I'm drugged up and still hurrt like hell and I'm gonna be out of work for at least a week and the Dr says my ribs will hurt for probably a month.

Always work your chest protector and know your landing!!!!!:thumbsup:

I agree, if your're on the bike you should gear up. Especially if when just fooling around. That's when you get comfortable and drop your guard. You'll be tender for a while, but the lung(s) need a close watch.

Did your bike end up with a taco'd front wheel?

I know exactly how you feel. While coming home from a ride coming down the trail(used to be railway tracks) I totally forgot about a tree someone had fallen

across this trail.(upset nearby house owner) needless to say coming down the trail doing a 3rd gear full on wheelie totally forgot about the tree. Brought the front wheel down sliding towards this tree blipped the throttle got the front wheel over tree, rear wheel hit launching me over the bars, bike flipping behind nearly landing on me. In the end broke 3 ribs. continued working through the pain and discomfort for the next three months. :thumbsup::bonk:

been there done that 3 years ago...almost the exact same injury you have...7800 e.r. bill and outa work for 3 weeks when i was 47,way to old to be hurt up like that again...i wear my chest protector everytime out since that ordeal...hope you heal up and get well soon:thumbsup:

Two years ago I broke my ankle because I didn't wear boots. It only takes one time. Hope your recovery goes well.

I actually didn't start wearing a chest protector until this year, although I don't ride MX, its already saved me a few times on some spills.

Surprisingly the bike is fine, i wasnt even going that fast, maybe 2nd gear. The top of my right hand is all scratched and swollen, not sure how that happend, never came off the bars.

It's always a good idea to do a slow sight lap, even on tracks that you ride regularly. Mother nature and bulldozers sometimes make changes to the track and you don't want to find out about them when you are in the air.

I hurt myself bad, not as bad as you, but pretty bad last year cause all I was wearing was a winter coat, mits and some army boots...

Never again.

This past Sunday I went riding at a huge field by my house. I didnt wear my chest protector (mistake #1) because I wasnt riding any tracks I didnt think I needed it. As you circle the field (big laps) there are a couple of plateau jumps. This particular jump I didnt bother to check to make sure the landing was clear (mistake #2), well needless to say it wasnt. We've had so much rain that the ground had wash away and I landed in a big hole about 3 feet deep and came to a instant stop and my upper body hit the bars. Well with no chest protector on I broke a couple of ribs and punctured a lung! I have to have more X-rays done tomarrow to see if my lung is getting worse, if so I'll have to be admitted into the Hospital for God knows what! Right now I'm drugged up and still hurrt like hell and I'm gonna be out of work for at least a week and the Dr says my ribs will hurt for probably a month.

Always work your chest protector and know your landing!!!!!:thumbsup:

Idk how much a chest protector really would have helped in in that situation thats an extremely fast stop and I be willing to bet you still would have broken some ribs

Chest protector would have spread the load out over a large area and disipated the impact. I cracked 2 ribs at my back once, so I know what you're feelin. My last crash I didn't even see. The lights went out, head on collision, and I woke up on the ground. Guys said I was out for 2 minutes. That was almost 3 months ago and I'm still feeling it... but no broke bones. Get well soon

Did you see Pourcel bounce off the handlebars on his chest in Toronto? That looked like it hurt even with a protector on.

Yeah I remember that one, I bet that hurt pretty good.

Sorry to hear that man. That blows... I saw some guys in South Carolina last weekend riding around with nothing but jeans, tennis shoes and a helmet. They're just asking for an injury...

Get well soon.

You better hope your pneumothorax isnt getting worse or a chest tube is in your future...and that can be a painful procedure in the wrong hands. I have done almost 100 of them and can do them relatively pain-free...but many docs just tell you to deal with it! Good luck.

I actually had a third set of X-rays done yesterday to check that. Sunday I went to an urgent car office, they didnt see the pneumothorax, but suggested I go to the ER just in case, so I did. I went to the ER on monday. The ER spotted the pneumothorax and the DR said something about 10-15%. Then I went back to the urgent car place on tuesday for follow up x-rays to see if the hole in my lung is getting worse. The Dr. said he doesnt think its getting worse. I was coughing like mad last night and in a ton of pain, I may go back for x-rays at the end of the week.

I landed on my shoulder/chest area a couple weeks ago. Three ribs. No' s 1,2,and 3. A CAT was done to check for artery damage as they broke close to the sternum. Honestly the ribs don't hurt so much but you can still see the bruise line across my chest and back from the impact where the chest protector was. For me, this is where the real pain is at. The top of my shoulder and scapula is either bruised up good or there are some tears in there. idn, but it hurts like a mother to move my arm around. Luckily I have a sit down job or I wouldn't be working. At 52 yrs young my wife says I should know better. NOT.:thumbsup:

Seeing how my protector broke I may look into one of theses armor type suits. Any opinions on these?

I actually had a third set of X-rays done yesterday to check that. Sunday I went to an urgent car office, they didnt see the pneumothorax, but suggested I go to the ER just in case, so I did. I went to the ER on monday. The ER spotted the pneumothorax and the DR said something about 10-15%. Then I went back to the urgent car place on tuesday for follow up x-rays to see if the hole in my lung is getting worse. The Dr. said he doesnt think its getting worse. I was coughing like mad last night and in a ton of pain, I may go back for x-rays at the end of the week.

The coughing and pain likely means that the pneumothorax is getting worse or you are developing an infection. You should go to the ER instead...I dont trust docs that do not see these type of things on a daily basis to make a reliable diagnosis. But it should be relatively easy to compare your previous film with the new one and see the difference....but you would be surprised. If you start getting chills and/or fever, go to the ER.

Oh, and the 10-15% is the amount of collapse of the lung compared to the total volume of the ribcage on that side...in case you were wondering. That is a small one and it should resolve on its own.

Thanks davbrucas, I didnt know what the 10-15% was. I got 2 prescriptions,one for pain one for muscle spasms. vicodin and flexeril. I havent really had bad coughing today. My wife is a respiratory therapist and she has been telling me to do my breathing excersises and she told me this morning she almost took me to the ER after my coughing episode last night.

I landed on my shoulder/chest area a couple weeks ago. Three ribs. No' s 1,2,and 3. A CAT was done to check for artery damage as they broke close to the sternum. Honestly the ribs don't hurt so much but you can still see the bruise line across my chest and back from the impact where the chest protector was. For me, this is where the real pain is at. The top of my shoulder and scapula is either bruised up good or there are some tears in there. idn, but it hurts like a mother to move my arm around. Luckily I have a sit down job or I wouldn't be working. At 52 yrs young my wife says I should know better. NOT.:lol:

Seeing how my protector broke I may look into one of theses armor type suits. Any opinions on these?

The first few ribs at the top ( I'm assuming that is what you mean by 1,2,3), are mostly cartilage, and can hurt like hell, as they snap back and forth with each breath.

I suffered a similar injury to yourself..except I received a 3rd degree sep of my ac joint as well. It has left me with a badly jumbled up shoulder, which oddly enough has created issues with the other shoulder function as well.

This year, I decided to do without chest protectors that have rinky-dink, useless shoulder skid plate, and hang like a sandwich board sign.

The one I chose was the same one Cristophe Pourcel wears, ( the zebra coloured Thor Sentinel). I figured as he has broken his back, and is one of the few guys wearing outer roost protection, he wouldn't be wearing it if it wasn't adequate. It has no shoulder skid plates but fits snug on the entire rib-cage.

It doesn't have the bottom-edge of plastic diggin' into my tummy below the ribcage and is really comfortable. I have had a "sky-ground-sky-ground" crash that resulted in the bottom edge of my old protector hookin' in my bottom rib and snappin' it.

Chest protection is really for minimal impact distribution, and the back provides minimal "gettin' driven over" protection. They are mainly for roost protection. But anything that helps you keep riding after hitting the bars, rather than parkin' it for the day is helpful.

To the OP, I cannot imagine what it must be like to coughing AND have broken ribs..You are one tough hombre!!!! Get well soon, buddy.:thumbsup: