Using actual oil on air filt.

In my continuing preparations for my, (hopefully), trip out west, I've purchased a Twin-Air filter. Up till now I've used Ready Filter brand for the convenience and because I don't see a lot of dust on my home turf (Ready Filt. is kind of a thin element that's pre-gooed). But, I figured for out west I need a denser filter element.

Anyway the thing is I don't really want to deal with the Twin Air Goo and goo cleaner on the road, I'm wondering if I could get away with just going old school and using dyno. oil, that I can wash out with soap and water.

regular motor oil will run out of a filter pretty quickly. If your going to be off road at all I highly recommend steering clear of motor oil. Air filter oil is nasty and sticky for a reason...

If your that desperate for an easy solution use No Toil.. Little bit of laundry soap and warm water is all you need to clean.

Ahhhhh, No Toil is water soluble. Sounds like a good option, Thanks Bronco.

another option would be to carry 2 or 3 pre-oiled filters in a zip lock bag.

just thinking it would be easier to carry some filters than cleaner & oil.

probably wouldn't matter if they were compressed either.

another option would be to carry 2 or 3 pre-oiled filters in a zip lock bag.

just thinking it would be easier to carry some filters than cleaner & oil.

probably wouldn't matter if they were compressed either.

Yes, that would be the best way to do it.

Now, I'm just trying to avoid buying multiple filters again. I still have a half a dozen Ready Filters left. Of course, I still plan on using around home base.

Now that I think of it, maybe I should have started this thread different. Maybe I should have asked weather people thought Ready Filter brand air filters were adequate for desert riding? I mean they are exactly what I'd need (pre-oiled, packaged, comes with a glove) , it's just that they seem a lot thinner than a Twin Air, etc...

i can't comment on the ready filters, as i've never used them. i would think they would be fine - or at least hope they would. afterall, they are marketed for dirt bikes, correct?

i've got at least one oem filter i could live without for the cost of shipping.

maybe get one or two more oem filters cheap here or ebay if $ is an issue(when is it not).

one good thing about the twin air filters is they're a little smaller than oem. not really going to save much space though.

i've got at least one oem filter i could live without for the cost of shipping.

:thumbsup: i wonder what shipping from Zimbabwe to Illinois would be? :lol: