Sign in to follow this  

Chain and sprockets for a YZ85

I am getting ready to change out my kids YZ85 chain and sprockets. Anyone have any input on what I should buy? I was looking at Renthal, but it is a non O-Ring? I was told that I should buy an O Ring since he is racing Enduro/MX. I also looked at a Pro taper with a DID chain. I am sure this is an old O-Ring vs Non O-Ring, debate, but I just want to make sure I have the right one. I know the stock chain has to be tightened every ride, it is driving me nuts, I was told that O-Ring chains have to be tightened once and then you don't have to do it again. True? Thanks guys

o-ring/x-ring last a very long time, and they do not "drag" like alot of people seem to think compared to regular chains.

Renthal makes an o-ring chain, it's on their website.

I use an EK chain and it's bullitproof, very well made and has another couple years left in it for sure IMO.

I think there are better products than renthal that are under-rated because they don't have the same fancy website, advertising campaign etc.

The general consensus is that when you replace a chain, or a sprocket, it's recommended that you replace them all so your on the right track :thumbsup:

o-ring/x-ring last a very long time, and they do not "drag" like alot of people seem to think compared to regular chains.

Renthal makes an o-ring chain, it's on their website.

I use an EK chain and it's bullitproof, very well made and has another couple years left in it for sure IMO.

I think there are better products than renthal that are under-rated because they don't have the same fancy website, advertising campaign etc.

The general consensus is that when you replace a chain, or a sprocket, it's recommended that you replace them all so your on the right track :thumbsup:

I have a gift certificate for a site and the only thing they have that fits a YZ 85 is a Renthal chain that is non o ring. They say that their Renthal O-Ring chains do not fit a YZ85. The set they have is a set of two sprockets and non O ring chain. The other is a Pro Taper with a DID chain, don't know what the chain is, they did not specify, but it is also a complete set. I would like to use the gift certificate, before it expires. In my search these are the only two sets available??

I've been a fan of Primary Drive chains and sprockets for awhile now. Ultra cheap and last a very long time. Been using them on every bike I have owned.

Got an X-ring on my 125 and I really like it.

I've been a fan of Primary Drive chains and sprockets for awhile now. Ultra cheap and last a very long time. Been using them on every bike I have owned.

Got an X-ring on my 125 and I really like it.

How is the stretch? I know with the stock Yamaha 85 chain I have to tighten it almost every ride. I am almost out of adjustment.

An aftermarket chain shouldn't stretch very much at all. Most are pre streched.

MY TWO CENTS

Back in the day, chains had no o-rings... They were also VERY noisy. So, donkey lips #1 decided that if there were o-rings between each plate it would be next to silent, even at high operating speeds. VOILA! No more noise!

I also believe that those o-rings help keep lubrication where it belongs for longer, then if there was no o-ring.

But, offroad, there lots more dirt and sand and junk that constantly is covering the chain. Slowly worked into the orings causing them to degrade which lets the chain get sloppy and lack the proper lubircation while maintaining a higher operating temperature. I use non-oring chains for everything offroad. They last longer for me and I never need to adjust them much at all. Just my two cents...

-BIG DAN:thumbsup:

The Renthal O-ring chain is a 520 pitch, they don't make an o-ring chain in a 428 pitch, which is the size the YZ85 uses.

The Renthal O-ring chain is a 520 pitch, they don't make an o-ring chain in a 428 pitch, which is the size the YZ85 uses.

I believe that is the other huge factor in buying 420/428 chains. Most don't have the o-ring option. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

An aftermarket chain shouldn't stretch very much at all. Most are pre streched.

MY TWO CENTS

Back in the day, chains had no o-rings... They were also VERY noisy. So, donkey lips #1 decided that if there were o-rings between each plate it would be next to silent, even at high operating speeds. VOILA! No more noise!

I also believe that those o-rings help keep lubrication where it belongs for longer, then if there was no o-ring.

But, offroad, there lots more dirt and sand and junk that constantly is covering the chain. Slowly worked into the orings causing them to degrade which lets the chain get sloppy and lack the proper lubircation while maintaining a higher operating temperature. I use non-oring chains for everything offroad. They last longer for me and I never need to adjust them much at all. Just my two cents...

-BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Donkey Lips # 1..... Another Classic!....:thumbsup: