Sign in to follow this  

Is my rear shock shot???

I just bought a used bike (my 1st in about 20 years) anyway I think my rear shock is toast. When I compress or put weight on the back end and then take the weight off the back end takes it own sweet time to decompress.

So what does this mean exactly. Rebuild, new, what is cheaper what is better? Thanks for the help.

If it isnt leaking you are fine, if it cames back fast then you would be low on oil in it but you arent. You can adjust the reboud if you like, take it out and ride it first though

I just bought a used bike (my 1st in about 20 years) anyway I think my rear shock is toast. When I compress or put weight on the back end and then take the weight off the back end takes it own sweet time to decompress.

So what does this mean exactly. Rebuild, new, what is cheaper what is better? Thanks for the help.

Does it feel like it has compression when you push on the seat... if yes Check linkage. Also linkage bolt torque. I have also seen on occasions where someone forgot to put the needed spacers in...

Does it feel like it has compression when you push on the seat... if yes Check linkage. Also linkage bolt torque. I have also seen on occasions where someone forgot to put the needed spacers in...

Maybe a little but not much.??? I know that if I try to bounce up and down it pretty much stays compressed. Only comes up about 2"

what's the year and model of the bike? Maybe the shock is so empty and or full of gunk, it doesn't rebound normally. But if I were you, I'd check the linkage first.

what's the year and model of the bike? Maybe the shock is so empty and or full of gunk, it doesn't rebound normally. But if I were you, I'd check the linkage first.

it's a 2003 XR400R

First- I'd take the swing arm and linkage off and inspect, service, replace as required. (There's a great post here on servicing the linkage.)

Second-Either I'd service the shock myself or have a shop do it for me.

Booger2

I'm going to drop the linkage out tonight, I hope. I have read a couple posts here about seized bolts. I hope not, but we'll see.

Okay, I took a look tonight. There doesn't seem to be any resistance when I put my weight on the bike, it just goes right down. I figured that I would just pull the shock and service the linkage while I'm at it since I don't know when the last time it was (if ever) done. All of the pivot points move freely and smoothly so I know it wasn't binding on anything. Backing bearing will be tomorrow night's project. :thumbsup:

I did back the spring off all the way so I could work the shock by hand. I only have about an inch that I can work it. There is resistance when I compress it but it feels like it doesn't have a charge. Because it does not push back out by it's self.

Now the reservoir has a valve stem. Can I check that with a gauge to see if it just needs to be charged with nitrogen? How high of a pressure gauge do you need?

Thanks for the help.