Sign in to follow this  

What's a decent jack of all trades bike?

Hey guys, I'm interested in jumping into the sport. It would appear as if the local dirt bikes seem to have a little bit of everything, from trails to some motorcross stuff, so it looks like that's what my dirt bike would need to handle.

I'm about 5'7, and 143 pounds. As I previously said, I am a complete novice to the sport. I haven't driven a manual car, so operating a clutch may be something new to me (although, I have driven a manual ATV a couple of times before). I'm not very mechanical (I'm taking my schools power mechanics class next year), so I'm liking the alleged simplicity of the two-strokes.

This is asking a lot, and given than I'm a student with little budget, this doesn't sound very feasible. How much am I looking at for a bike to get into the sport? $1500-$2000 for an older, stock, bike?

Take a look at a 99-2002 Yamaha yz 250 two stroke, I just got rid of mine and it was a GREAT bike for everything you could throw at it! Take a look in the yamaha two stroke forum and they can give you more information for an informed decision!

I would also reccomend the older 2 strokes. They are easy to work on and fun 2 ride, but since u r a beginner u may want to look for something like an XR250 or mayb the X400 because they are easier to ride and begginer friendly. Even tho they are four strokes they are very easy to maintain.

I'm about 5'7, and 143 pounds.

I'm not very mechanical

How much am I looking at for a bike to get into the sport? $1500-$2000 for an older, stock, bike?

125 smoker:ride:

for your weight, height, and experience, i'd have to say go with a 250f enduro bike such as a yamaha WR250F, ktm 250 XC-F, or honda CR-F250X. the 250f and it's easy to use powerband will be perfect for you as a beginner.

the only problems i foresee are not being able to touch the ground with both feet and weight of the bikes... if the weight of an enduro is too much for you, maybe you should try an mx bike (YZ250F, 250 SX-F, KX250F, etc.). i would stay away from the 125 smokers because in order to really get power out of them, you need to have experience using a clutch.

hope i was helpful,

tim

forgot to mention that because of your height, it may be difficult to kickstart a tall bike. most enduro bikes nowadays come with the "magic button" so i see that as a major plus in your situation and something to really take into consideration. i'm 5'10" 170 lbs and, every once in awhile, still manage to get stuck in positions where it's difficult to kickstart my bike.

just my two cents...

kind of pricey, yes, but if you look into purchasing a used bike (or if you can find an old new bike) i'm sure you can find one for under 3 grand.

Okay, many thanks. So I should be looking for a 250 four stroke? What about the new 230s? There's an '05 TTR-230 around me for cheap. There's also one of those honda dual sports, but that's a little more expensive than what I'd be willing to drop.

That TT-R230 would be a good choice. :thumbsup: The Honda equivalent is CRF230. A Honda XR or Kawasaki KDX would also be a good choice.

No KDX for motocross......

I would have to say a 125 smoker, something manageable to learn on(compared to a 250 smoker), very capable woods and mx bike, and in your budget..... A 250f could be even better, but a nice bike is rare in your buget........

Application wise, the newer 250 four strokes would get the job done well. There are two issues; one being the fact that you really need to know how to maintain the newer four strokes so that you can protect your investment, and two being that they are just that, an investment.

Okay, many thanks. So I should be looking for a 250 four stroke? What about the new 230s? There's an '05 TTR-230 around me for cheap. There's also one of those honda dual sports, but that's a little more expensive than what I'd be willing to drop.

If you want motocross ability, don't touch the 230s of any brand; unless you want to dump a lot of time and money into it. However, they are very very low maintenance and mild enough for even the most uncoordinated, rank beginner.

There is a reason the 230 is so cheap. Dont buy it because even though your a begginer you will ride it close to its limits the first ride. The suckiest suspension ever put on a dirt bike and the wieght make it useless. And then it has no power. It was a big mistake for me. I bought a 125 smoker and havent looked back.

if i were you i would get the 230, easy bike to learn the sport on and then in two years ago you can upgrade to a four fity lol

The reason im saying 230 is because you could find one in the price range, and very cheap bikes to maintain. Im sure you could be entertained for atleast a year. I wouldn't advise a 125/250 2t or a 250f(mxer) just because i think it would be very hard to learn on a bike that big w/ that much power

I still believe a 125 would be manageable..... 3 of my cousins learned on 1.....and didn't have any problem, it was a 134cc too......

The reason im saying 230 is because you could find one in the price range, and very cheap bikes to maintain. Im sure you could be entertained for atleast a year. I wouldn't advise a 125/250 2t or a 250f(mxer) just because i think it would be very hard to learn on a bike that big w/ that much power

I agree.

If you've never ridden a dirt bike before the 230 will school your ass good. Great to learn and have confidence on. Buy a nice used 230. Keep it around for the girlfriend or to hook your other buddies into riding with you. When you ride it everywhere wide open it's time to upgrade.

If you're carefull with the throttle I think a 250f would still be a good option if it's in your budget and you can do all your own work on the bike.. I picked up an '06 yz250f a little over a month ago. I am a complete beginner never really rode a bike before this only sport quads. I really like it and so far haven't had any trouble but I'm carefull with the throttle 'cause it definately has plenty of power. I feel it's a bike I will grow into and still be happy with in a couple years. My main goal is MX so a ttr/crf230 or non mx bike wasn't even a viable option for me. I'm 5'11" and 150lbs.

125 2ST or a KDX fit that price range and can grow with you but still retain decent re sell value.

The 230's are O.K. for just putting around. If you get into it at all you'll be wanting more in 6 months at the most.

IMO

If you're carefull with the throttle I think a 250f would still be a good option if it's in your budget and you can do all your own work on the bike.. I picked up an '06 yz250f a little over a month ago. I am a complete beginner never really rode a bike before this only sport quads. I really like it and so far haven't had any trouble but I'm carefull with the throttle 'cause it definately has plenty of power. I feel it's a bike I will grow into and still be happy with in a couple years. My main goal is MX so a ttr/crf230 or non mx bike wasn't even a viable option for me. I'm 5'11" and 150lbs.

Yah, a friend of mine (age 15, and no all that coordinated) got a crf250 for his first bike last year, after about 50 laps around the house he was ready to hit the trails..... Another friend, who had an old xr100 that he never rode, picked up an 06 yzf250 2 yrs ago(age 13 or 14). He picked it up quick, and now we ride together 3-5 times per month.....