Why not EBC 280 rather than 270mm

Has anybody heard an explenation or experienced why a person would not go with the EBC 280mm oversize rather than any other make 270mm? I understand the collision factor but given the leverage benefit and availability why not?? I've had EBC but never a 270, has anybody experienced both?

Alot of the advantage of larger rotors comes from swept area as well as just radius.

I think there are advantages to smaller rotors in some conditions... when its wet a rotor with less swept area will get hotter and stay dry. and will collect less mud and drag it through the caliper (i'm not sure which is the bigger advantage, and I think they just go to solid rotors to get the same effect, but anyway...)

I think the main reason to go smaller for motocross bikes is just exposure to damage.

just my .02 hopefully somebody can kick in an opinion to help shape my understanding a little better

I run the EBC 280mm for the exact reason you said, it makes more sense to me and I'm not worried about hitting it on anything since I ride strictly motocross. But after using them on two bikes I understand why someone would get another rotor even if it was smaller.

The quality of the EBC sucks, period. My first one wasn't even round, although it still worked perfectly. The steel they use isn't stainless, it rusts after the pads wear off the cheap coating they put on there. I can see how this would be a bigger problem for someone else who doesn't live in Arizona, my bike pretty much only gets wet when I wash it :thumbsup:

I have EBC rear rotors on both my crf450 and cr250, neither has rusted and i even use the EBC extreme pro sintered rear pads.. Riding in the rain, washing the bike, no rust. that is odd that yours is rusting. What pads are you using?

I run the EBC 280mm for the exact reason you said, it makes more sense to me and I'm not worried about hitting it on anything since I ride strictly motocross. But after using them on two bikes I understand why someone would get another rotor even if it was smaller.

The quality of the EBC sucks, period. My first one wasn't even round, although it still worked perfectly. The steel they use isn't stainless, it rusts after the pads wear off the cheap coating they put on there. I can see how this would be a bigger problem for someone else who doesn't live in Arizona, my bike pretty much only gets wet when I wash it :thumbsup:

that's because stainless steel rotor's are made of high carbon, low cromium stainless steel's which are not corrosive resistant, try it yourself, you can stick a magnet to em (which you can't with "proper" stainless grades like 316 and 304 which have upwards of 20% cromium in them) the disk's mainly have cromium in them for heat dissapation.