spooge

I just bought a 2001 kx250 that looks brand new. I bought it in the knoxville tn. area which is at a higher elevation than the nashville area where I ride it. Every other time I start it I have to put in a new spark plug. Not just swap it with another one that i've ran before, it wants a new one and it is putting out a lot of black stuff from where the pipe joins that I think is called spooge. Could the elevation change be causing this? This is the 1st bike i've had in many years, so any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

Just FYI, you're in the UTV forum. May want to click over to the dirtbike forum and into kawi 2 stroke threads.

Anyhoo, Yes, it's the jetting. The elevation between Knoxville and Nashville is not great enough to really cause a huge problem. But the temps, humidity, etc do.

Check to see what jets are in it now (pilot/main). Also, if there's any mods done to it, especially aftermarket reeds like Vforce/Boyeson rad valve, the bike will be more finicky to temp changes. But when you get spooge, you need to lean it out a bit.

Keep a close eye on the tranny oil level also. If it seems to be using tranny oil, the crank seals are leaking.

Check the reeds to be sure they aren't broken or warped. Bad reeds will make the jetting horribly rich.

Your problem is likely a jetting issue, but you have to rule out mechanical issues on an older bike before you start swapping brass.