Sign in to follow this  

nitrgen in shock

What dose the nitrogen in the rear shock do? I know why they use nitrogen, I just dont know what it dose. The reason I ask is because the shock on my kids 50 sx pro senior was leaking. I took it apart to fix it and can not see how it would have been charge with nitrogen. I have read that people will take a schrader valve and put on it to charge them, but the more I think about it the more I think that they do not charge these shock? Anyone know?

My shock (and all that I've seen) have a schraeder valve to charge the nitrogen i nthe reservoir.

yeah and I think most bike do. The only thing that this shock has is a allen screw that would be about the same size as the air bleed screw on forks. I dont see how the factory would have been able to charge the shock with just that, and it would be in with the oil. I dont think that the seals would hold much pressure for a long time kinda like forks if you leave the compressed for very long.

The allen screw is just to fill the oil if it needs some and let any bubbles out. The nitrogen will go into the reservoir, not the shock itself.

No the ktm 50 shocks are an emulsion shock, the nitrogen and oil mix. The allen screw is where they fill it from but they use a special charging fixture that seals it and then they screw the allen screw in I believe. The schraeder valve is an aftermarket part (you can get them from racetech) so that you don't need the special charging tool.

what it the nitrogen in the shock for. One guy posted on anther site that he charged his to 175 psi. I dont see that shock holding that much pressure, so I am 90% sure he didn't know what he was doing, and I just dont see how they could charge the shock with out a schrader valve

It's a gas spring. The shock body is not filled with oil typically on this design and the balance is pressurized nitrogen. In the standard operating position the nitrogen will end up at the top of the shock body. It reduces cavitation as the oil flows thru the valve stack. This is the design used in automotive shocks. Yes 175 psi is correct.