02 DRZ400E 3 quick questions

New to me '02 400E that had been sitting in neighbors garage here in phoenix for a few years. Everything stock. Took carb off/apart and cleaned. While off, I wired the AP arms together and ground down the AP diaphram stop aka "eddie mod". CE still intact. The jetting was all exactly stock.

Here's what I found:

Main Jet: 142

Needle: OBDXP #4

Pilot: 45

starter jet: 66

Pilot air jet: 60

Main air jet: 200

Pilot mixture screw: 1 3/4 turns out

Riding will be a mix of on/off road from about 500 feet to 3000 feet MSL around Phoenix (80-100 degree temps).

Starts and runs fine now, except at idle, so a new pilot should cure that.

1. I'll do the 3x3 mod next and have found a couple of jetting recommendations by searching this forum as well as the DRZ forum. Which way should I go?

(recommended to someone 4-6000 ft)

145 Main Jet

EMP Needle: Clip 3

200 Main air jet

45 Pilot Jet

2 Turns Fuel Screw

160 mainjet

stock dxp needle

5th clip

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

From these recomendations, it seems that the 142 Main is for sure too lean. I'm guessing the needle is the only other thing I'd need to mess with for reasonable jetting.

2. Is there an aftermarket idle adjustment screw? The stock one broke, and seems a pretty flimsy design for $45 a pop. This is the flexible screw that you use to turn the idle speed up and down with.

3. I'm needing an extended pilot mixture screw (fuel screw), so I can adust it with the bike running. Are these compatible with the electric start? Seems there's no room for one between the screw opening and the starter sitting on top of the engine.

Thank you for your inputs. It's my first DRZ, actually first Suzuki and first FCR carb ever.

Edited by Psycho18th
Fixed spelling error in title

I fitted a flexible fuel screw to my '01 E and there was enough room between the carb and the starter. Photo is with the CE removed.

160 mainjet

stock dxp needle

5th clip

stock 45 pilot jet

2.5 turns fuel screw

the quick and easy set up for running with out the snorkel.

That's great! So all I need to buy is a 160 main, Lift the needle one position, and open up the fuel screw a bit. After working on the jettig on my XT350, this has to be the easiest set-up ever!

I'll search for that flexible fuel screw. That looks like a good setup.

Any other options for the idle adjust screw?

Thanks a ton for the help. It's very appreciated.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Sammy_1101
      Hi Guys,
      So I recently bought a 1997 XR400. I've done some research into getting more power through some basic mods and rejetting the carbs. Though all of the ones I've found have been for post 98 XR400s so the stock carb set up is a lot different. Usually people are opening up the airbox, exhaust ect. ect. and Jetting their carbs up to 160/162 for mains around 60 ish (I think) for the pilot. However for the 97 model this is close to stock for the jets.
      So essentially what Im asking (Just to cut to the chase ) Has anyone got a 96/97 (maybe 98, not sure) XR400 and has done these similar mods, and what sort of jetting have to done as a result.
      Thanks in advanced, also its my first post so apologies if I havent done everything correctly.
    • By Jturn
      38MM Cast SmartCarb. Purchased a couple years ago for a yz250. Don't have the bike anymore, and it has been sitting around for about a year. Used, but in fine working condition. You can also purchase a different needle for different bikes, as well as rebuild kits from their website.
      Asking $250 shipped to continental United States. I can arrange other shipping options at the buyers expense.
    • By faizakhtar125
      Hey guys I just bought a bike last night. So the seller said the bike will turn on but then die. We didn't try it because it was really late at night and it was raining (seat was wet). But he said if you bump start it, it will turn on and ride. So what do you think the problem is? I just want to make sure it runs... I probably won't be able to bump start it till Saturday (rain)... It's a four stroke, and I know absolutely nothing about them. Thanks.
    • By knotduke08
      I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I have not found any options available for the new 2018 bikes. I live and work for a new Beta Dealer (Auburn Extreme Powersports) in California, and we are having a difficult time mapping the RR-S bikes for full FMF exhausts. We have tried contacting Beta Support several times for this issue to no avail, and we typically are given the runaround when transferring to techs and secretaries. From what we can gather, the FMF flash is designed for the RR bikes, but not the street-legal counterparts. Every time we try to install the FMF map onto an RR-S errors occur, and the programmer screen goes virtually blank. We have heard through the grapevine that some are using the RR maps on the RR-S with success, but we have yet to try it, even on our own bikes for fear that it will permanently erase or damage the CDI. Any and all help or suggestions regarding this topic would surely be appreciated! Thanks, Ben.