Sign in to follow this  

Solvents Do's and Don't's

Hi Folks,

Is there any rule of thumb of what to use on suspension parts? Carb/Brake cleaner is bad on rubber, etc. What is the best things to use based on price, availability, environmental impact, etc?

Gas has always worked for me, or so I thought, what really is the best thing to use?

Joe

I don't think Gas Is a good idea, fire hazard and all. I normally try use Electronic cleaner around rubber parts, or brake cleaner worst case. Carb cleaner is way to harsh on rubber parts.

for oil/grease I use cold cleaning solvent. only if it needs to be 100% clean and dry I use brake cleaner

for dirt I use rim cleaner or motorcycle cleaner

Anyone using kerosene?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts?

Booger2

DaveJ suggested hot water and simple green if you have a way to spray the hot water. Fortunately, I have a hot water hookup in my garage.

Pressure wash mud off if necessary, then mineral spirits. Brakeclean for final cleaning before assembly.

Or I think that's what I used to do...haven't touched any suspension in so long I forget...:thumbsup::lol:

I MENTIONED I CLEAN WITH BREAK CLEANER A WEEK AGO AND I GOT SHOT DOWN SO MIND OUT WE MIGHT HAVE THE SAME IDIOTS READ THIS. I LOVE BREAK CLEANER.:thumbsup:

I MENTIONED I CLEAN WITH BREAK CLEANER A WEEK AGO AND I GOT SHOT DOWN SO MIND OUT WE MIGHT HAVE THE SAME IDIOTS READ THIS. I LOVE BREAK CLEANER.:thumbsup:

...it's "brake" cleaner...