Best older/budget KTM's to look for?

Well I'm rocking my '08 250XC-W. Now my little brother is dying to get one, but unfortunately is on a very tight budget. Like $2-3k. Are there any years to avoid for KTM 2 strokes? Looking for 200/250 XC/EXE/XCW, or whatever. Just don't want a bad design. Saw a '97 200exe but it had standard forks and looked like it was in bad shape for $1k. Is there a specific year cut off to look for?

Thanks.

98 and newer you get into a much more 'modern' style machine.

is on a very tight budget. Like $2-3k.

that's what KTM guys think is a tight budget? wow....

i have been seeing some older 300s on CL for 12-18 lately

Well he's learning his lesson from buying a $800 '93 CR125. Only needs a new cylinder/head/tires/suspension bushings/ and who-knows-what-else. I always think it's better to spend a little more up front to avoid the big hit in repair costs.

very true

You need to post this in the "what KTM to buy" forum on ktmtalk.com

98 and newer you get into a much more 'modern' style machine.

Yeah . . . he should be able to find an '02 - '05 200 (or 250) for that doe

I think I paid 2800 for my 2006 KTM 200 XC-W and it only had 18 hours on it with some extra stuff. New rear tire, radiator gaurds, bark busters, and a new rear tire!

Dennis

I think I paid 2800 for my 2006 KTM 200 XC-W and it only had 18 hours on it with some extra stuff. New rear tire, radiator gaurds, bark busters, and a new rear tire!

Dennis

That's why I'm keeping my '06 200 XC-W . . . I'm not willing to loose that much cash, since I bought mine new and also has low hours (not that low though!)

05 or newer is what to look for, better frame and susp after 04. No real problems with these year bikes.

I just picked up an 05 250exc for $2K. Has everything - race tech suspension, guards, FMF pipe and silencer and set up for stabilizer. I felt like i got a pretty good deal. Finding the right ktm can take some patience but its worth the wait.

I just bought (yesterday) a really low time 96 300 exc with a seized motor for $270. I think I'll have everything repaired for about $350. Then I'll have a near mint bike for under $700.

I too think that 2k is NOT a low budget. I got my 99 ZX6R for 2.2K, lol

05 or newer is what to look for, better frame and susp after 04. No real problems with these year bikes.

correct. even 04 had the newer, lighter engine too ( 250/300).

Joe

I just picked up an 05 250exc for $2K. Has everything - race tech suspension, guards, FMF pipe and silencer and set up for stabilizer. I felt like i got a pretty good deal. Finding the right ktm can take some patience but its worth the wait.

You pulled a pretty old thread. Little brother got a great deal on a left over '09 200XC-W so no worries about a used bike for him!

:)

I have an '01. The frame was the same until '03 and I've heard nothing but bad things about the turning geometry of those years.

A few after market parts and I'm all good, but you don't even have to go there. :banana:

Pick up an '04 or newer and you're golden! :)

I've been replacing internal motor parts and it always runs better. There must be sumptin to this idea about buying the newest bike you can afford!?

my best friends dad got a SUPER clean 2001 300EXC for $1400 i think. it was raced but maintained really well, tastefully modded, awesome all around. theyre out there! Although maybe the markets different in HI?