Sign in to follow this  

No EFI on 2011 YZ250F

With the japanese nationals under way we are starting to see some pictures of some of the stuff that's in the works for 2011. I was browsing through the Japanese National pictures from transworld motocross, and found that they didn't find an EFI equipped 250f anywhere. So it looks like everyone who bought a 2010 will be happy to learn there bike won't be to outdated since the 11's won't have a radical new engine with EFI. Hmmm time to start waiting for the 12's haha

Fuel injection is overrated IMHO

Why do you feel that? It does everything a carburetor does, except better. Yea there aren't big power increases with it but the hindsight to that is that there are no big power loses due to incorrect jetting for altitude changes etc..

It's the future for sure and I would love to see a 250F with it.

EFI at high altitudes, like the Idaho City 100, is nice on a 250F. Even with a nicely jetted bike and a fuelscrew I can sure see the benefits of the technology. Oh well.

I have mixed emotions on EFI. I have a 2010 CRF250R and there have been many reports of fuel getting into the crank case and also with the 09/10 450. Perfect jetting all the time is priceless so it's a toss up but give it a few years and they will start to perfect it.

You can't gauge if the 2011 will or will not have EFI based on the japan nationals. Did you see the 2010 YZ450F at the Japan nationals last year? nope.

You can't gauge if the 2011 will or will not have EFI based on the japan nationals. Did you see the 2010 YZ450F at the Japan nationals last year? nope.

yeah most of the time japs bikes are never next years bikes..... im still waiting for the yz150f that was in japan in 06 or 07

Fuel injection is overrated IMHO

Have you ridden a fuel injected bike or is this just a baseless opinon?

I ask because I used to think just like you until I actually rode an F.I. equipped bike. That husaberg changed my mind about what throttle response and lugability (if thats even a word) on a 4 stroke single should be.

EFI is nice, but I think is Yamahas engine, in general that is outdated. if it was updated and still had a carb, I dont think it would be a big deal (of course if they do overhaul it, im sure it will be efi equipped) but the efi alone isnt what makes it fast. its a safe bet that the engine everyone envys at the moment is in the green bike and its carbed.

even if EFI doesnt give you power gains it does make like much easier. not having to mess with the carb. i dont think Yamaha would just add EFI to the engine they have now. im guessing new engine with EFI. Might have to wait another year or two. Yamaha is always the last to come out with the technology, but when they do it kicks ass. Kinda like the new 450.

ya, i am not downing the advantages of efi by any means. i agree, it is sweet and it would be nice to have. but first and foremost id just want a fast, reliable, solid-performing motor, efi or not. ppl are so hyped just to have a bike that efi, which is cool and i understand, but if the motor ripped and was carbed, current design or new, carbed or efi, thats all i care about. efi is just an added bonus for me, but def not a deal-breaker by any means.

The 010 450 didn't come out until August 2010. They do not have to race the bike in Japan before releasing it.

I don't mind EFI. I like how you don't have to jet the bike, but I can still live with a carb.

EFI is nice, but I think is Yamahas engine, in general that is outdated. if it was updated and still had a carb, I dont think it would be a big deal (of course if they do overhaul it, im sure it will be efi equipped) but the efi alone isnt what makes it fast. its a safe bet that the engine everyone envys at the moment is in the green bike and its carbed.

Yamahas 5 valve thumper motor has been proven to be the most reliable engine out on the market. I hope they dont stray for far from there current design. I think we all remember what happend with the last company with some big engine changes. I can still remember all of the motor work i got to do on kxfs.

My dealer told me he just learned the 250f WAS going to be fuel injected with the similar engine changes made to the 450s. I didn't ask him when but he made it sound like it was in the works. I challenged him and he was quite confident with his info. May not be ready for 2011 but it's in the works I am sure.

There's no way your dealer would know what is and what isn't going to be on a 2011 YZ250F. He's talking out of his ass.

Yamahas 5 valve thumper motor has been proven to be the most reliable engine out on the market. I hope they dont stray for far from there current design. I think we all remember what happend with the last company with some big engine changes. I can still remember all of the motor work i got to do on kxfs.

i agree with you 100%. i actually started a thread to ask 2010 owners to weigh in about their bikes and how well they like them. im strongly considering getting a new 250f and i really want the yzf specifically because the new handling and proven reliability are two major factors for me.

There's no way your dealer would know what is and what isn't going to be on a 2011 YZ250F. He's talking out of his ass.

I can second that for you. My dad owns a Yamaha dealership. I remember being at the national dealership convention in Las Vegas a few years ago when they came out with the new 700 motor in the Rhinos's. That was the first anybody had heard of it. That was also the year they came out with the new strato liner or something like that. They dont have reps coming and saying hey in two years will have a fuel injected 250f. Who ever told you this is full of it. Just letting you know.

Yamahas 5 valve thumper motor has been proven to be the most reliable engine out on the market.

While this is true and the longevity theory of why 5 valves are better than 4 makes sense, I don't believe the 5 valve head is the main reason why these things are so reliable.

It probably has more to do with the valve and valve seat material than anything. In the case of the 2010 YZ 450f, if it has the same valve seat material and valve face treatment as previous bikes I see no reason why it wouldn't last as long as the old 5 valvers do.

Look at the 1,000+ posted related to jetting woes! here at tt.com. And, early tt.com member, James Dean, has made a nice little business for himself ("JD Jetting"; anybody heard of this?) because of jetting woes & tuning deficiencies.

I have 12 vintage bikes & 2 modern bikes with carbs & would chuck them all for the EFI on my 2009 BMW G450X. EFI is NICE & I won't miss the carby days when they're gone!

Bob in AZ

Please guys, look at the 2010 YZ250F and notice everything looks new except the motor. Because of the economy AND not taking anything away from the 450's first year, it's pretty obvious the 2011 with be a mini YZ450. Reverse cylinder and FI included. At least thats my guess. Also if you think FI is dumb please get of the internet and go stroke your double pumper on your "classic" firebird or whatever