IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

How important is it to use new gaskets when doing a top-end?

like the title says, how important is it to replace the gaskets when doing a top-end?

can you just clean the old gaskets and clean the metal it fits onto, then re-use the old ones?

btw the bike is a 2009 250sx, though i dont think it matters.

Mike. :thumbsup:

Its fairly important i would imagine, the gaskets are designed to crush as you torque the head down giving a better seal, a gasket that has been already used will not crush and seal as well as a new gasket.

I have done it before and it has worked but that was on a 81 dt 125 that i had when i was a kid, but for the price of a new gasket i would definitely replace

the rubber o-ring type gaskets can be re-used if they are not damage or pinched. The metal type gaskets are a one use deal. FWIW a head gasket leak can be quite damaging, I say it's better to replace them!

Always use new gaskets if you can. If you are in a pinch, you can coat the old gaskets with "Coppercoat". I have done this several times and never had one leak.

Any chance you can use new gaskets, do it....to me its a pain to have to tear something back down because a "used" gasket is leaking....For what gaskets cost....its worth a few dollars to do it right the first time......

come on dude, i mean when you pull apart a engine you should always use new gaskets.

unless its something like a valves cover gasket you should always get new ones.

unless you havent got the money just save some up because gaskets are very important

Definitely use a new base gasket. I prefer to use new o-rings for the head too. The gaskets for the powervalve covers you can re-use if you don't mind a little spooge leaking out around there.

If you do not have the money for a minimum of a new head & base gaskets I suggest you put off the rebuild till you do.......or would you rather be pushing your bike back after it breaks down?

If you do not have the money for a minimum of a new head & base gaskets I suggest you put off the rebuild till you do.......or would you rather be pushing your bike back after it breaks down?

Possible problems are......fried crank & seized piston/trashed cylinder from air leak.......seized piston/trashed cylinder for a blown head gasket blowing out all of the coolant.

2009 250 SX top end

1) Absolutely need new pipe O-rings - purely cosmetic so you don't leak spooge - but you can use the odies and red high temp silicone

2) cylinder and waterjacte o-rings for the head - reuse if not cracked or flattened.

3) Base gasket - coat both sides with a non-hardening gasket sealer - tribond 1154, or hylomar. Wait 24 hr before adding radiator fluid. I have used straight clear silicone but it's hard to get off. With silicone and any organic solvent based gasket sealer you can add rad fluid fairly soon thereafter.

All other gaskets - re-use for sure.