Anyone set up a 85 for a trail bike?

Here's the situation....my daughter is 14, 5-4, and is currently riding a TTR125L that I've modded out (YZ85 forks, BBR carb, FMF exhaust, BBR frame cradle, Protapers, you get the idea) and it's just not enough 'bike' for her....size, it's just fine, but she's complaining it's 'gutless' and 'slow'.

Yup, she's picking up the pace.?

Now, I'm torn two different ways. Nobody really makes a serious 4 stroke bike in this size for serious trails/enduro use (except the CRF150R), and all the smokers are MX-bikes. So, I'm going to make my own mini-smoker-single-track machine.

It's either going to be a KX100 that I KDX-ify, or a KTM 85SX that I XC-ify.

I'm torn two ways, and am looking for some advice from anyone who was woods-ify-ed a KTM. I'm really leaning towards the KTM for numerous reasons, the hydro clutch being one, and the other being it's a much more modern machine.

I've found locally that both machines of similar vintage and condition are about the same price, so they're equal there.

As it stands, my list would be Cycra Pro-Bend handguards oversize fuel tank, a good coverage skid plate, a pipe guard, rad braces (none available for the KX though), FMF Q series silencer and a flywheel weight.

Steahly lists a 7oz for the KTM, and an 8, 10 and 12 for the KX. My concern is, will 7 oz be enough to tame the KTM down for serious single track use?

Anybody have some real-world experience with one?

Get the extra torque with a Kx100 or a KTM105. I had to ditch the RM85 for a KX100 for trails. It make hill climbing much easier for my son. The bikes are 50 lbs ligher than the TTR125 - but taller (1-2 inches seat hight). Ride single track in MI. No experience with a FWW.

Get the KX100, bark busters and 2 1L MSR fuel bottles for her pack. You'll be good gor 50 MI easy.

KTM 105 with a flywheel weight and s/a makes a great woods bike. I have built a few with lighting coil and lights and here in Washington state a plate. A larger tank is also available from KTM or IMS. The KX 100 is another good choise but it doesn't compare to the KTM.

My comparison is based on my experience.

My sons 85XC is very linear in power. An excellent trail bike. It has a 4 strokish power band in comparison to my nephews RM85. The RM is a light switch. Dead till it hits the band and then only effective for a rather small powerband.

His 08 XC is really a lot more trailworthy than his 05 85SX was. I do not know why since they are supposedly the same motor....

JMHO.?

Get her the 105SX/XC. Its an identical bike to the 85SX/XC except the top end (cylinder, powervalve, piston and head) and larger wheels (assuming the 85SX is a small wheels, ie 17X14) where the 105 uses the 19X16 combo. Much better trail bike, and if you get a killer deal on an 85, you can install the new top end and make it a 105. C/H, I currently have (my grandson) both the 85SX and a 105SX, both 2007's, grandson started to race his 105 in the supermini and now doenst want anything to do with his 85! ?

Get her the 105SX/XC. Its an identical bike to the 85SX/XC except the top end (cylinder, powervalve, piston and head) and larger wheels (assuming the 85SX is a small wheels, ie 17X14) where the 105 uses the 19X16 combo. Much better trail bike, and if you get a killer deal on an 85, you can install the new top end and make it a 105. C/H, I currently have (my grandson) both the 85SX and a 105SX, both 2007's, grandson started to race his 105 in the supermini and now doenst want anything to do with his 85! ?

I'd love to put her on a 105 (and she'd love to have one), but two problems....there's like NONE available used around me, and I'm too cheap to drop that kind of dough on a new bike for her.

If I'm buying new, I'M the one who is getting the fresh ride.?

I'd love to put her on a 105 (and she'd love to have one), but two problems....there's like NONE available used around me, and I'm too cheap to drop that kind of dough on a new bike for her.

If I'm buying new, I'M the one who is getting the fresh ride.?

Kyle, I picked mine up locally from craigslist for $2000, its a 2007 and still had a Kelley Blue Book of $2950! So I did good. MSRP on the 105 is around $5295! There is one now in Portland Oregon craigslist for $1800. My daughter lives in the area, she could pick it up, store it and when you are hauling freight through this area, pick it up! ;D

Here is my gem, I did put the smaller wheels on it so my grandson could race it right away. As he gets taller, I will put the large wheels back on and sell the smaller version. I installed all new plastic, graphics and backgrounds, new bars, grips, frame guards, seat cover, shock bearings, steering stem bearings, chain, sprockets, Braking wave rotors (not shown) ... Will do a top and bottom end overhaul in May.

msm105ls%20f1.jpg

Kyle, I picked mine up locally from craigslist for $2000, its a 2007 and still had a Kelley Blue Book of $2950! So I did good. MSRP on the 105 is around $5295! There is one now in Portland Oregon craigslist for $1800. My daughter lives in the area, she could pick it up, store it and when you are hauling freight through this area, pick it up! ;D

Here is my gem, I did put the smaller wheels on it so my grandson could race it right away. As he gets taller, I will put the large wheels back on and sell the smaller version. I installed all new plastic, graphics and backgrounds, new bars, grips, frame guards, seat cover, shock bearings, steering stem bearings, chain, sprockets, Braking wave rotors (not shown) ... Will do a top and bottom end overhaul in May.

msm105ls%20f1.jpg

Nice looking ride....smokin deal, too.

Thanks for the offer, but I haven't been to the PNW in over a year, going on a year and a half....I'm kinda locked into a MN-SoCal-MN gig for now (but that could change).

You wouldn't happen to be in the market to 'adopt' a 32 year old grandson??