Leg endurance tips?

I was just after some ideas on how to stop my legs giving up after 2 laps on a rough track?

I ride on a really whooped out sand track and after two or so laps I have hardly any strength left to lift my leg to put my rear brake on. I dont think its leg pump (if that is even a thing) or a fitness thing. It is just my legs cant keep me standing up which is what I need to do to ride this track.

Is this a riding technique issue or is it my body issue? Its not like I am overweight but I am not a gym junkie or a fitness freak either.

But some tips on how to improve would be sweet :thumbsup: cheers!

get more fit. if you don't like actual workout regimes then try watching tv standing up. during the show stand upright then during the commercials stand in a squatted position with the knees as close to 90 degrees as possible. once you can do this for a full hour show then try switching the show/commercial routines, the show takes up just over half of the time allotment. then incorporate light weights, curls, straightlifts and such into the squats. that should get you started.

maybe.... cross train on a pedal bike without the seat on it?

long bike rides, sports involving running, jogging(up hills). stay on your feet more than u sit down

working out and good preparation is always good advice, however, never fight the bike. remember, how the bike can sometimes ass-buck you right over the handlebars at times? well, if you can predict that motion you can use it to help you stand up. anotherwords, you turn a ass-buck moments into a force that lets you stand up effortlessly. its all about "reading the track".

also, try this: don't just stand but hit the front brake and then let the bike just "pick you up" into a standing position as your body gets shoved forward and your knees lever you up automatically into a standing position.

same with acceleration, don't just stand straight up but let your body rock back and then lever itself up into the standing position.

little tricks help your pre-race preparation go a LONG way in the actual moto. pretty much you never want to use your own energy to stand. let the bike do it for you. and for god's sake, never try to stand when the bike is trying to make you sit ! imagine how costly that habit is.

Sic...

Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Yeah I probably will start doing some squats/jogging/push bike riding. After most rides my legs are usually sore the next day so they must not be strong enough.

Thanks for the tech tips sic. I can see how that could save a lot of energy during a race. Will give it a go next ride.

On whooped out turns do you ever stand on your outside peg while still having the other foot off for balance? I find that to be real demanding on my leg strength but really effective in the corner speed.

Leg off should never be for balance. It's to get it out of the way of the ground and so you can lean the bike over further. Never balance with your leg off. Leads to some sweet get-offs. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Leg off should never be for balance. It's to get it out of the way of the ground and so you can lean the bike over further. Never balance with your leg off. Leads to some sweet get-offs. -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Oh wow... learn something new everyday haha...

I always thought another reason for having your leg out was to stop the bike from tipping over if you lean too far.

Sorry.. I am such a goon!

ride a bike

squats while squeezing a medicine ball in between your knees helps to get used to squeezing the bike.

little tricks help your pre-race preparation go a LONG way in the actual moto. pretty much you never want to use your own energy to stand. let the bike do it for you. and for god's sake, never try to stand when the bike is trying to make you sit ! imagine how costly that habit is.

Sic...

Perfectly said!!! I learned this in my recent first race after my legs had gotten fatigued enough that I couldn't stand on my own. I would wait until any bump i could see to bounce me up and that saved so much energy.

Only if I could remember to breath at all times now and how to keep the bike from stalling in narrow paths. . . :thumbsup:

push ur bike all over not running up hills and on flat ground....u will have leg strengh in no time