Sign in to follow this  

FMF q2 and LEADED fuel-clogged from years of riding?

I've run an fmf q2 muffler on my 250f for a few years, and ive only run 110 leaded fuel. Every time i rode it, i had to adjust the fuel screw, and it was always finicky with slight elevation changes (trail riding). it felt sluggish overall.

A few days ago i swapped mufflers for my dr.d. The header (dr.d) had it a coating of lead inside that would pour out in sand-sized chunks when i scraped at it with a flathead screwdriver. A lot came out, i never got it all out. The next day riding, my bike felt awake, a ton more power. It would wheelie in every gear, when with the q2 it would struggle in 3rd. Riding up some familiar hill climbs, i could go up them in 3rd pinned without bogging or clutching any. When I had the q2 on, it was very difficult to get up them IF I did, while using a handful of clutch.

My dr.d was uncorked; no sparky and no cone insert. i didn't think a simple muffler swap could make such a difference, but after seeing the lead in the header, and lead build up on the muffler tip, i'm thinking the q2 is clogged up.

Is this just a fantasy, is it possible, or does the q2 really choke it up that much?

I couldn't find anything in the search here, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

~Tony

I've run an fmf q2 muffler on my 250f for a few years, and ive only run 110 leaded fuel. Every time i rode it, i had to adjust the fuel screw, and it was always finicky with slight elevation changes (trail riding). it felt sluggish overall.

A few days ago i swapped mufflers for my dr.d. The header (dr.d) had it a coating of lead inside that would pour out in sand-sized chunks when i scraped at it with a flathead screwdriver. A lot came out, i never got it all out. The next day riding, my bike felt awake, a ton more power. It would wheelie in every gear, when with the q2 it would struggle in 3rd. Riding up some familiar hill climbs, i could go up them in 3rd pinned without bogging or clutching any. When I had the q2 on, it was very difficult to get up them IF I did, while using a handful of clutch.

My dr.d was uncorked; no sparky and no cone insert. i didn't think a simple muffler swap could make such a difference, but after seeing the lead in the header, and lead build up on the muffler tip, i'm thinking the q2 is clogged up.

Is this just a fantasy, is it possible, or does the q2 really choke it up that much?

I couldn't find anything in the search here, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

~Tony

Just a quick question. Why are you running straight 110 or are you mixing it with pump gas?