Sign in to follow this  

My 05 rm 250 shudders at high rpm's

I've been trying to figure this out since I bought my 2005 rm 250. When I hit the high rpm's and the bike is wound out, there is a shuddering noise coming from under me. I can't tell specifically where its coming from.

First off, I normally ride and race a 125 2 stroke, and I constantly rev the piss out of it.

1. Am I overrevving the 250? Its hard for me to figure out because the bike doesn't have a steep power decline at the high rpm's like some bikes do.

2. I do not have a rubber insert between the silencer and the fmf Gold expansion chamber. (I get some 2 stroke oil leaking out of that spot when I ride) Could that be the cause of my high rev chattering? I've grabbed a hold of the silencer and noticed i can move it a few millimeters or so. The expansion chamber had a loose bolt holding it to the frame, I replaced the bolt and tightened it down and its reduced the chatter a little bit. I was also thinking that maybe the expansion chamber is shuddering where the springs hold it to the engine? maybe a bad gasket?

But, i have to ask this question because I'm not familiar with the sounds of piston slap or worn crank bearings or anything of that sort. I don't think its internal because the power hasn't changed and neither has performance.

Edited by bskicrash1

Shuddering??? Can you explain just a little better. Does the whole bike shudder or is the engine breaking up because you are revving it out?

The bike physically doesn't shake and the engine doesn't have any loss of power when this noise happens.

Today when I started the bike, I heard the noise again when it was idling. I grabed the expansion chamber where it connects to the engine and was able to rotate it just slightly. The noise stopped at low rpm's. I only heard it again when I was wide open throttle at the top of the RPM's.

i'm starting to think the culprit is the exhaust chattering. I'll check the springs and make sure they are tight and the overlap of the expansion chamber and silencer pipe.

hmm, it just had me worried that possibly i was getting some sort of noise from the crank or piston.

If you do not have a owners manual....I suggest at least looking at yamahaoftroy.com website for oem parts...and diagrams.....and looking at what you may be missing , in your exhaust system....and ordering the right stuff.

The bike you have is too good to be running it in less than tip-top condition.

later.

Get your wheels trued. A wheel that's out of spec creates a shudder. I'm assuming you are feeling this while riding? The pipe is making noise, not a big deal, get the bushing, noise gone.

I'd also throw the bike on a stand and shake the wheels to see if your bearings are sloppy. Watch the wheels spin and see if they are straight or do they wow back and forth as they spin? Watch the rotors too. Never seen a bike warp a rotor but if so, it would shift the caliper back and forth when the wheel spins. Just brain storming.

I had to go at least one main richer with the FMF pipe, also a leaky joint at the muffler or completely worn out packing will cause turbulance at high rpm. I would fix this and check if it helps.

I had to go at least one main richer with the FMF pipe, also a leaky joint at the muffler or completely worn out packing will cause turbulance at high rpm. I would fix this and check if it helps.

Thank you. I will see what progress I can make.