Sign in to follow this  

new headlamp lighting

looking to upgrade my stock unit or add a new brighter headlamp on my 05 drz400s. any suggestions and photos if you have them.plus do i have to upgrade my charging output for the addons.thanks.

kalomaacl.jpg

Stock headlamp, Polisport EMX shroud and a 90/100w "xenon" bulb.

Lights up much better and gives you that xenon look ;P

paid $15 for 2 bulbs on ebay.

A 90/100w bulb on a DRZ? Have you rewired your headlight or do you just carry a fire extinguisher?

Just a new bulb.

Had it in for almost a year know.

It gets a little hotter than stock. but not much.

kalomaacl.jpg

Stock headlamp, Polisport EMX shroud and a 90/100w "xenon" bulb.

Lights up much better and gives you that xenon look ;P

paid $15 for 2 bulbs on ebay.

Stock 'S/'SM headlamp + headlight , only the stock lamp + EMX shroud ?

Pics please!!!

I posted a pic.

Can't u see it? ;O

Just took of the stock shroud.

And with a little force ( no mods) The shroud from the EMX lamp bolted right on ^^

Bulb

It's says 55w in the description. But on the bulb it says 90/100w

Anyways I'ts a good upgrade :thumbsup:

unless you rewire the headlight with a relay, you're pulling 90 and 100 watts over wires that were not designed for it. Plus, I'm almost certain the DRZ has no relay, so all that power is being sent through your hi/low switch (also not designed to handle the heat that 90/100W will create). While it hasn't caught fire on you, it's just a matter of time. At the very least, your hi/low switch will fail prematurely.

When it comes to electrical stuff, I prefer to do it right. Running a high wattage bulb is fine, but only if you run power direct from the battery with a wire that's heavy enough, then use your existing hi/low switch to trigger the relay. Much safer, and your 90/100W bulb will also be much brighter because all of the power from the battery will actually make it to the bulb (in your current configuration, much of your power is being wasted through heat).

Get an Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay Kit (link).

I've used them in three bikes now, running 80/100 watt bulbs, with nary a problem.

Thar ya go. Those things are a little pricey for what they are, but good quality and they solve the problem properly.

Get an Eastern Beaver H4 Headlight Relay Kit (link).

I've used them in three bikes now, running 80/100 watt bulbs, with nary a problem.

I put a 100/80 watt bulb in because the stocker was looking yellow, well guess what? the new one looks the same. I took it out so I did not damage anything for no benefit.

What is the most wattage you can run for headlights with relays and proper wiring? Reason I ask is I'm installing a Lynx fairing headlight. I want to get 55 watt HIDs, but I'm not sure if the bike can handle 110 watts for high beams. Anyone know?

Well with relays and proper wires you could run the two 55w HIDs, and be well under the output of the stator but I decided not to push my luck and stuck with 35w which is more than bright enough.

Nice setup HIX. If I have 200 watts to work with, I think I'll go with the dual 55w HIDs.

I'll be running LED blinkers and a Vapor so the headlights will be the only appreciable load on the stator.

At least until i get the stereo installed, lol!

i like the beaver kit.dont want to try an hid setup because we mostly ride in the forest and its always wet and muddy and i dont know how waterproof they are.heres a vid from last year with my old klx250

I put a 100/80 watt bulb in because the stocker was looking yellow, well guess what? the new one looks the same. I took it out so I did not damage anything for no benefit.

Stick a voltmeter on your headlight plug. Bet you've got nowhere near 14 volts there.

i like the beaver kit.dont want to try an hid setup because we mostly ride in the forest and its always wet and muddy and i dont know how waterproof they are.heres a vid from last year with my old klx250

Mine has stood up to several washings so I'd say the DDM kit is every bit as water resistant as the factory setup.