Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

electrical shocks felt through brake/clutch lever

Recommended Posts

Anybody ever heard of this?

'06 250X w/ about 60 hours on it.

When the engine is under load, and I reach for the clutch or brake lever, I intermittently feel a little tingle on my finger right as I'm touching the lever, then I don't fell it any more.

There don't seem to be any exposed wires or loose connections on the handlebar, light, spark plug, rectifier, battery, ground connection, or wiring harness (that I can see).

Anybody have any ideas of what else I should check?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you riding under high tension power lines? Electric charges can travel from the lines above to the ground via you sometimes. This has never happened to me but my neighbor has taken his dog for walks under the power lines and when he reached down to touch the dog he gave him a shock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check your any metal portions of your bike with a volt meter and see if there is a reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow even if it was hot all the time you might not feel it everytime becuase you wouldn't necessarily complete the circuit unless you had exposed skin contacting the metal. Maybe its only intermitten based on how your dressed or your riding position or when your salty sweaty gloves are completing the circuit through your body when you both clutch and brake at the same time.

Hope on your bike without gloves and with a pair of shorts on. Ride along and grab your bars and squeeze your knees into contact with your frame.

If it is hot, my money is on the tail light cable bundle grounding out against the sub frame bolts. The black wire is always hot even when the bike is not running.

Still though you'd think it would blow the main fuse. I've seen people blow the fuse just by cutting that wire to replace the fender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 250x will do that from time to time, especially if riding under power lines. Feels like static electricity or a noticeable tingle from the clutch lever usually. The battery was removed long ago but I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. I never really tried to find a problem as far as that goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 04 has done that since new. I never paid much attention to it. I figured it was static electricity build up from my gloves. When I am messing around in front of the house with out my gloves on, I never feel the zap. I never really thought much about it though. Next time I am riding I will look and see if I am around high tension wires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You also want to check for signs of corrosion at your connectors and ground points.

Is your headlight as bright as it should be? I don't know about your X, but a lot of Hondas wiring I've seen, the kill button wire and the ground wire for the headlight share a Y connector behind the headlight. The cheap bullet connectors corrode easily and can cause the electrical shock you're experiencing.

Just throwing that out there. You never know.

There don't seem to be any exposed wires or loose connections on the handlebar, light, spark plug, rectifier, battery, ground connection, or wiring harness (that I can see).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool, thanks all. Gives me a good place to start. Static is the word I should have used, that is what it feels like.

I've never checked it without gloves.

There are some power lines nearby, but they are old-school, low tension. Haven't noticed if it happens more when I'm close to them vs. further away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely check the kill switch for shorts in the wiring.

I would suggest unplugging it completely and take it for a ride. If no shocks fix or replace you kill switch.

I had one fall apart one time while riding, the hot wire bounced around and touched me and I got big shock!! That'll wake you up better than coffee!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought my son a 03 PW50 and it's doing the same thing. I was riding under high voltage power lines on my 10 acres. I was not wearing any gloves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd check the kill switch, but only because it's right there.

 

Also my bet for several reasons:

12 volts usually isn't high enough to be felt.

The kill switch has more than 12 volts to it.

The handlebars are mounted in rubber.

 

If the sw, or its wire, has poor/damaged insulation there could be voltage in the bars high enough to be felt when you touch the lever; your body then complete the circuit to ground and you feel the results. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12Vac isn't high enough to be felt, but 12Vdc sure is. You ever put a 9V battery on your tongue?

Definitely check the kill switch for shorts in the wiring.

I would suggest unplugging it completely and take it for a ride. If no shocks fix or replace you kill switch.

I had one fall apart one time while riding, the hot wire bounced around and touched me and I got big shock!! That'll wake you up better than coffee!!

You want to check for an open ground connection on the kill switch, not a short. Probe between the kill switch ground wire and the handlebars and it should be a dead short. If not, you have a bad ground.

Edited by mossman77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the info provided I'm missing something here because the kill switch is a 2 wire device and  it connects one wire to the other wire when pushed. However the wiring diagram shows the Black/green wire of the kill switch is grounded to the bars so the only time the bars would be hot would be if the kill switch is pushed, or if the kill switch is faulty. A check with a VOM will show if there is stray voltage in the bars wen the engine is running. Adding a jumper between the bars and the frame would be good test to see if it stops the engine.

 

Yes you can feel a 9volt battery on your tongue but clothing is usually enough of an insulator so 12v DC will not cause a sensation.

And most riders wear pretty thick clothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a static charge is building up between your body and the bike. You are insulated from the bike via rubber grips, seat and boots so when you touch the lever the static discharges. Every one has seen the gas station video where the person is pumping gas and the car catches on fire when they touch the nozzle. Same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Resurrecting and old thread.  You can not feel 12 volts dc with your hands unless you have very sensitive hands.  You may feel it barely on the underside of your arm if you lay it across the terminals. My bike still does this on the clutch side.  To actually feel a snap of electricity, it would have to be static electricity. It has been 4 years since last time I last posted on this thread. I still have the same 04 250X and it still gives the occasional static shock.  I don't even pay attention to it.  Static electricity you can hear but not see is about 15000 volts.  If you can see and feel it, it is around 20000 volts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×