Sign in to follow this  

Bike wont idle

The idle screw is a little chewed up (it's plastic)...could that be what is making the idle hard to dial in?

Fred...I torn down the carb, replaced the needle, air screw, blew out all the jets...it will idle for a while...then the next time I stop the idle will be high, so I adjust it...the next time I stop it stalls...***...

The tip of the screw is all buggered up..I didnt know if that would cause the problem

Sounds like a jetting issue try one size larger pilot if its too lean it will do that.

ok..I'll try that. I thought I might be a little fat on the bottom because of a slight bog, but i'll try it.

Since the screw is plastic, always open the throttle a little before turning the screw in. That will save the screw.

Since the screw is plastic, always open the throttle a little before turning the screw in. That will save the screw.

Thats a great tip...Thanks

Old thread revival....turns out it was time for a new top end. Once I put the new piston in it idled just fine.

That is a factor of mixture. The richer pilot would have worked for you too.

Worn piston rings often call for a bit richer idle and low speed mixture.

Your new top end would be the preferred fix, but it is a good point to keep in mind...

That is a factor of mixture. The richer pilot would have worked for you too.

Worn piston rings often call for a bit richer idle and low speed mixture.

Your new top end would be the preferred fix, but it is a good point to keep in mind...

good to know...I love learning these little tid bits