Clutch problems?

We have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 and it's been running real bad. It's fine until you punch the throttle and then the rpm's shoot up but you don't accelerate any faster. I've replaced 2 drive belts in our Polaris Magnum as it has 5300 miles so I tore the Sportsman apart assuming the belt was shredded. Turns out, the belt is in perfect condition. Now I'm stumped.

We plow a lot of snow with it in the winter time and it has about 1500 miles right now. What could be the problem considering the drive belt is perfect? Thanks for your help!

the little plastic ramps could be damaged or melted, not allowing the sheaves to apply proper tension on the belt. Have you looked at those?

the little plastic ramps could be damaged or melted, not allowing the sheaves to apply proper tension on the belt. Have you looked at those?

I'm not really sure what you mean by the ramps?

That's odd I don't see a plastic piece anywhere that resembles that. Everything else in that picture matches up though. Is it possible they melted completely off to the point where I wouldn't notice where they should be?

Not likely. They are plastic and are held on with phillips screws.

I had a problem with those, as well. The Helix wore them down to the screw head and the helix tips were being damaged. It was an aftermarket clutch, however. When I replaced them, the parts guy referred to them as "clutch buttons", hope this helps.

I had a problem with those, as well. The Helix wore them down to the screw head and the helix tips were being damaged. It was an aftermarket clutch, however. When I replaced them, the parts guy referred to them as "clutch buttons", hope this helps.

Yes that helped a lot. I pulled a diagram on another website to look and they have the clutch buttons numbered and it looks different from the diagram that CQR posted. I'm gonna tear it apart and see what they're looking like.

:thumbsup: Keep us updated.

http://cdn.cheapcycleparts.com/images/PO/images-ATV-CLUTCH-08SP500.gif

http://parts.polarisind.com/images/ATV%5CCLUTCHDRIVEN%5C08SP500.gif

Could you guys explain the differences between these two diagrams? Part 6 on the first is the clutch button that North Star is talking about and part 17 on the 2nd diagram is the plastic ramp.

The 1st diagram is exactly what I'm seeing. The 2nd diagram doesn't look too familiar. If you haven't noticed my mechanical skills are sub par :lol: but I'm just trying to save a dollar and like to teach myself! :thumbsup: I appreciate all the help!

The first pic is the driven side of the clutch ( the rear sheave) and the second is the drive clutch ( the front sheave)

4.jpg

#6 is on the assembly on the left, and #17 is on the assembly on the right.

Ahh makes perfect sense now I guess I should have been posting pics it'd be a lot easier on you guys. I was tearing apart the front sheave, tomorrow I'll work on the rear, maybe take some pics and let you know what I find.

I don't mean to sound like an a-hole and offer different names of the clutches that CQR has named, but the first diagram is also known as the primary clutch and the second diagram is aka the secondary.

Be careful when disassembling the secondary clutch because it is under some load by the spring inside.

No offense taken North-star. :thumbsup:

My dad and I are working on pulling apart the secondary clutch right now. It's being a pain but we're getting there. I'll keep you posted.

Well you were right CQR those ramps were in bad shape as you can see by the pictures. 2 of them were broke in half and they all had chunks out of them. I'm going to order them but before I do is there anything else that could be wrong? Everything else looks in tip top shape.

Clutch002.jpg

Clutch001.jpg

In the second pic, it looks like #13 is in rough shape. (it's hard to tell in the photo tho) also if the sides of the belt are glazed from slipping, I would replace the belt again. Make sure that all the seals for the belt covers are in good shape. Any leakage in wet weather can cause belt slippage.