1974 bultaco sherpa T

going to look this bike tonight.. have always wanted a trials to build off road skills on and have about 2.5 acres to build/pratice on... Not planning on anything more than that and am looking for what to look for on this bike and opinions..

thanks in advance

jay

Edited by jhendr3702

That model Sherpa T had a leather spacer on the backbone of the bike. The leather would decay and wear a hole in the backside of the tank. Some guys fixed it with rubber. Also you need to put a heat reflector on the underside of the tank to protect it from the exhaust.

I honestly cant help much more than that. If you have the time get onto Trials Central and ask this same question in the Bultaco forum. Those guys really know their shit over there when it comes to the Buls.

will do... thanks for the info.. have been looking for a trials for over a year now...

jay

passed on sherpa... too much stuff gone for that much money.. it had no rear brake at all,(like nothing was in the rear drum at all) would not start, he said he thought he could find the air box, and he told me he had been just riding it with a sock on the carb for a filter " as that is all these really needed anyway" the fuel tank was filled with that sealer stuff too...

will keep looking....

Probably a good move.

Btw...what's your budget?

in the 1500-2000 range is where i would like be with the bike able to ride it, if that makes sense... I just got to adding up in my head and was over that ..

Not real picky on brands either, I have a 01 gasgas ec/xc300 and really like the gg's as a whole. I am in the center of the tx panhandle (79108) and look around the classifieds on all sites for about a year now without much luck.. I also like the yahama's (have a wr450 now and have had alot of yahams's over the years)and the honda's as well.

I rode a sherco one day here that was way fun. I think it was a late 90's.. The guy rode up on it and was very nice. There was about 10 of us watching a side by side being pulled out of the canadian river that day. He asked if anyone wanted to ride it, which of course was what i wanting to do from the second he stopped.. I said "well... yeah" , then he noticed I was on a gas gas....He said he had never seen one before.. If I was not hooked before.... I sure was then..

Edited by jhendr3702

Smart move passing on the Bultaco (and I love Bultacos). I recommend you attend some local events and talk to the guys. You can probably find an intact bike for sale. I know NM has a good club.

Smart move passing on the Bultaco (and I love Bultacos). I recommend you attend some local events and talk to the guys. You can probably find an intact bike for sale. I know NM has a good club.

thats a good thought...

We have rounds 5 & 6 of the Texas State Series at Lake Makenzie on April 17 & 18. That's not too far from where you are. There have been a good number of vintage bikes showing up to compete lately. Could get a look at newer vs. vintage and maybe get a lead on something.

We have rounds 5 & 6 of the Texas State Series at Lake Makenzie on April 17 & 18. That's not too far from where you are. There have been a good number of vintage bikes showing up to compete lately. Could get a look at newer vs. vintage and maybe get a lead on something.

that is my fav place to ride...found a gg online yesterday, got some pixs, talked to the guy....... bought it....go get it next weekend...

thanks for the thoughts. may just have to show up to watch anyway this year...

We are starting a Trials club at the Texana ranch near Blackwell (about 35 miles s. of Sweetwater). Really good terrain for Trials. We got to put on rounds 3 & 4 last month, so there are pleanty of spots cleared to ride now.

We are starting a Trials club at the Texana ranch near Blackwell (about 35 miles s. of Sweetwater). Really good terrain for Trials. We got to put on rounds 3 & 4 last month, so there are pleanty of spots cleared to ride now.

my grandparents lived in sweetwater... got to take my wr200 down there one time to ride a long time ago... it was at some lake south of town, great riding..

I have never owned and only rode a trials one time, but love to ride rocks and tight single track..and make new ones. My 300 gg thinks it is a big trials bike.. i know it is not, but it is alot of fun to ride.

Last time at Makenzie, i rode with a guy on ktm that knew that place like the back of his hand... he took us places i had never seen.. it was very fun.. We rode a trail around a white topped area of a drop off canyon i had never been at before.. It was after you drop off into the m/c only part, i was mainly trying to keep him in sight, so i got turned around alot..

We got lost there about the second time we went.. No matter what trail we took, we kept ending up in the same place on the same trail (where it goes thru a fence and is pretty clearly marked )

jay

u can say that again about the GG300, it really does feel like a big trials biek with a small flywheel

u can say that again about the GG300, it really does feel like a big trials biek with a small flywheel

yep...

my grandparents lived in sweetwater... got to take my wr200 down there one time to ride a long time ago... it was at some lake south of town, great riding..

I have never owned and only rode a trials one time, but love to ride rocks and tight single track..and make new ones. My 300 gg thinks it is a big trials bike.. i know it is not, but it is alot of fun to ride.

Last time at Makenzie, i rode with a guy on ktm that knew that place like the back of his hand... he took us places i had never seen.. it was very fun.. We rode a trail around a white topped area of a drop off canyon i had never been at before.. It was after you drop off into the m/c only part, i was mainly trying to keep him in sight, so i got turned around alot..

We got lost there about the second time we went.. No matter what trail we took, we kept ending up in the same place on the same trail (where it goes thru a fence and is pretty clearly marked )

jay

That was probably lake Trammel, it's a cool place too, but it's closed for riding again now. Makenzie is big. I've only been there once-last year for a state series trials event. I didn't wander off the loop too far, but want to take my 530 out there sometime.

At Texana Ranch we have trails also, thats where we hold the Concho Enduro.

trammel sounds right... that would have been like 91 or 92..

we always wanted to ride that concho enduro, but never got that far south..