new helmet

can anyone suggest a good helmet that is not to expensive

you are going to about every response under the sun, but here is my take...

you get what you pay for!!

and another thing i always consider when i purchase a new helmet.. do you want a 100 dollar helmet with a 300 paint job, or a 300 dollar helmet with a 100 dollar paint job?

i always get the best helmet i can afford in a solid color, im just not one to pay the extra money for the paint job.

I got an answer comet helmet new for 60 bucks. Its comfortable, fits great, and has good protection.

Not really alot of helmets out there for a hundred dollars, but my friend has a No Fear Optimal II helmet he bought last year and loved, The 2009s are about 90 bucks i think.

Basically any 2009 helmet you can get for a good deal. i would check out Motosport or Locomx

I have a Fox V3 that I like quite a bit. It's light, comfortable, and looks good. They're not necessarily cheap (especially for the 2010 models) but you should be able to find older models for under $200.

What I do is wait for the closeout sales of the previous years or models. They may be ugly as sin but I really dont care what my helmet looks like as long as it protects my dome. I picked up an Arai vfx for around 250 and a Bell moto 8 for 150.

I've seen some good deals on Troy Lee helmets; last years models. You could find them online or any shop.

I wear a Bell Moto 8, you can find last years models for around $150. It is very comfortable.

Out of all the things on the planet to skimp on, a helmet is probably the last thing. Like RBM33 said no reason to go buy the helmet with a crazy paint job but a quality helmet is worth every penny. Also, dont order one online unless you have gone to a store and tried that exact one on. A quality helmet that doesnt fit you correctly is worthless.

Regardless of price, I would suggest making sure it fits with your gear. You you regularly drink from a hydration system while riding? Make sure that you can get the nozzle through the chin bar. Wear a Leatt? Different helmets fit different ways based on their cut. Make sure your googles will fit as well.

Sounds stupid and basic, but the little ergonomic things are important too.

I have had good luck with Scorpion helmets. I have broke three (crushed liners) in two years and don't have any brain damage that I know of. (Wait, what was the question?)

Check out the AFX FX17 for under $100 or the Z1R Nemesis Grid which just hit the market for only $149

I just picked up a Scorpion VX-17 a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I live close to this store, so I can go in person to shop, but here's the link to the closeout special you can get online too, http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/VX17BURNOUTBLUE.jpg/Brand/SCORPION%20EXO/Class2/Helmets/Class3/Offroad%20Helmets/Class1/DIRT%20PRODUCTS If you go to Scorpion's website, you'll see it's still $200 there and it's $230 for full retail price.

You can't beat a 2.1 lb Airoh for $310. Not exactly cheap, but it is the lightest most comfortable helmet I've ever had.

I just picked up a Scorpion VX-17 a few weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. I live close to this store, so I can go in person to shop, but here's the link to the closeout special you can get online too, http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/VX17BURNOUTBLUE.jpg/Brand/SCORPION%20EXO/Class2/Helmets/Class3/Offroad%20Helmets/Class1/DIRT%20PRODUCTS If you go to Scorpion's website, you'll see it's still $200 there and it's $230 for full retail price.

And I know from personal experience you can get repair parts (visors, etc) from scorpion. They repair parts are pretty cheap also - the last visor I replaced cost me $14 shipped.

And I know from personal experience you can get repair parts (visors, etc) from scorpion. They repair parts are pretty cheap also - the last visor I replaced cost me $14 shipped.

I noticed that. Full replacement liner/cheek pad set is only $30. Way better than the Shoei I have, they want over $70!

I'm a big fan of scorpion, they just fit me really well, great performers

first was an exo-700 on clearance for $109 and I loved it, still using that in the wintertime and strictly road riding - then I picked up a vx-17 mx helmet on clearance for $39 awhile back, which led me to snatch a vx-14 for the same price recently from moto superstore

scorpion makes sweet helmets for the price, the liners are great and the overall construction is substantial, never feels cheap - just scan for closeouts and you can get prior year models for almost nothing - I try to go for helmets where the original price was $150-300, but I skip deals where the original price was only $70 or something like that

Get one that is SNELL and DOT approved, and fits you and your gear (neck brace, goggles, ect...) comfortably. Don't get one used or that is old (as in over 3-4 years old), don't go too cheap (unless its on clearance to bring in the next year's models, then it's great), and try to stick to a good brand name like Bell, Scorpion, Fox, ect...

Forget Snell. It has no standing in offroad events. Snell rating doesn't even come into play unless you impact at 120mph. Infact a strictly DOT helmet is probably safer in a offroad situation. Look for a helmet that excedes DOT and ECE 22.05 standards .

GO and find an Airoh somewhere.

Beside it fits the most comforable, they has they coolest outfit I have ever seen on the market of mx helmets.

dirtbikeexpress.co.uk, or dirtbikebitz.com will help you to get your dream Airoh type from the UK to US in one week!

i have the one industries kombat helmet i got the 2009 model for 130